1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Love Mulaney, and got Mrs. jlee to watch because he was a presenter with Awkwafina at the Oscars. He came through, and now we’re going through his stand-up specials together.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Funniest episode in awhile.

Love Mulaney. Had one “New York” issue with his very funny monologue. The male and female voices narrating the subway have been gone for a couple of years.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

His specials are pretty great. I've watched all of them multiple times. The bit about how the person who wants him and his wife to have a kid most being their realtor had me ROLLING.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's always weird how SNL can have a solid episode and then miss on every sketch the following week. You'd think there would be at least one solid bit a week - but some weeks feel like they clean out the reject pile - Idris Elba deserved better.

5. DanOregon

Also - watched the "vintage" edition at 10 p.m. with Luke Perry - I dont' remember many episodes from the Phil Hartman era being this bad - but it was bad. And people think the news segment these days isn't great? You couldn't even figure out when a joke was over when Kevin Nealon was doing it because he never landed the punchline.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Cold open was great. The Momo challenge chicken place commercial was funny, and Update had its moments — especially Davidson and Jones’ pieces. The rest? Meh.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I thought the soccer sketch was the funniest of the night.

Webster likes this.
  8. DanOregon

The show has never seemed to be able to write for black guest hosts. Dwayne Johnson is the only person of color in the 5 timers club - and it isn't like there is a lack of funny people of color. It's odd. They do tend to shy away from sketches that touch on race though. Even the blackface sketch from last month seemed half-hearted.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Top 10 all time SNL skit?

Fred siegle likes this.
  10. DanOregon

Funny - I wish SNL was more daring like that. Shoot, Pete Davidson's commentary was pretty bold as well. The one critique about the above sketch? They could have nailed the ending by making the job something funnier than janitor. Commissioner of the PGA, Publisher of Better Homes and Gardens, or symphony conductor.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I thought there was some excellent writing in this one and the WNBA and soccer bits were really good.

Idris was pretty inconsistent in the live sketches and Leslie Jones is De Niro bad at reading off of the cue cards.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Actually, I always thought the punchline was that Chase's character was so intimidated after the conversation that he let Pryor's character negotiate a salary that was way above the position's pay grade. In that case, I thought janitor was an appropriate job to put in the sketch.

Draft saved Draft deleted