1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 9)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Thank God there isn't this problem in baseball. Just individual loudmouths up north and fans in LA who don't show up till the third inning.

2. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I’m not sure what a “name” coach can do with Real Madrid for the rest of the season. They are 10 points safe in terms of dropping out of the top 4, which is all that is left to play for.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Berhalter's squad for March friendlies ...

U.S. Roster by Position (Club; Caps/Goals):

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge, BEL; 3/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 6/0), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 8/0)

DEFENDERS (8): John Brooks (Wolfsburg, GER; 36/3), Omar Gonzalez (Atlas, MEX; 48/3), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 2/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 4/0), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact; 2/0), Matt Miazga (Reading, ENG; 11/1), Tim Ream (Fulham, ENG; 26/1), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United, ENG; 57/0)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig, GER; 9/1), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC, CAN; 143/17), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 7/2), Weston McKennie (Schalke, GER; 7/1), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund, GER; 23/9), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 7/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 13/0)

FORWARDS (6): Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 19/3), Corey Baird (Real Salt Lake; 2/0), Jonathan Lewis (New York City FC; 2/0), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 25/5), Christian Ramirez (LAFC; 2/1), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 42/6)

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It seems as if zidane has been given more personnel power than is usual for Real, so having him now make sense. It's a lost year, so start next year early.

6. Webster

Zidane mostly seemed like a roll the ball out there type of a coach. I’m not sure he’s the guy you want to be leading some sort of massive team rebuild, especially given that such a task is near impossible given the political infighting at the club.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I thought this was great.

Inky_Wretch and ChrisLong like this.
  8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

That was fun.

9. typefitter

I love the Champions League. You know you're at the fun stage of the competition when Porto, Spurs, and United are the clubs you want to draw.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Since there are four EPL teams, odds are at least two of them, and maybe all (not sure on rules) will play each other. What if it's Spurs and United? (Just kidding, with Spurs luck in the draw so far, they'll get either Barca or City).

11. Webster

All teams are eligible to play each other in this round. I’m pretty sure that they also do the semi-final draw at the same time.

Liverpool looked great today.

12. typefitter

No rules here. Any one club can play any other. Could be City v. United. Which would be nuts.

Draft saved Draft deleted