1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2019 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 28, 2019.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Who's still playing?

Keepers are due tonight in one league. We keep six and five of mine are set with Acuna, Albies, Torres, Severino and Buehler. Trying to decide between Hader and Profar for the final slot. Profar would be a 25th-rounder, Hader a 13th-rounder. Our league has SV+H, so Hader's value is higher than in saves-only leagues.

I'm leaning toward Profar because of his versatility and value at 25th round, but Hader is an elite reliever. I just don't usually keep relievers.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Still playing here, was in three leagues last year including one on here

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm still in at least two, plus I need to bump the thread from the league on here to see who's still in.

I actually just finished a slow auction in one league. Now we fill in our reserves with an email draft. The team I took over last year was crap, but I think I'm making a little progress. Fixing a bad team is not easy in a 15-team league that allows each squad to hold on to 5 minor league players each year.

Here is my major-league roster so far. I will draft 8 reserves. The keepers are in bold.
    C Sanchez Gary NYY $16
    C Gomes Yan WAS $5
    1B Bell Josh PIT $11
    2B Gennett Scooter CIN $16
    SS Crawford Brandon SF $1
    3B Moncada Yoan CWS $15
    CI Freeman Freddie ATL $51
    MI Cabrera Asdrubal TEX $9
    OF Meadows Austin TB $4
    OF Nimmo Brandon NYM $11
    OF Ozuna Marcell STL $25
    OF Mancini Trey BAL $4
    OF Piscotty Stephen OAK $11
    UT Choo Shin-Soo TEX $15
    UT Cozart Zack LAA $3

P Clevinger Mike CLE $15
    P Cole Gerrit HOU $28
    P Foltynewicz Mike ATL $11

P Rodriguez Eduardo BOS $9
    P Newcomb Sean ATL $3
    P Chacin Jhoulys MIL $2
    P Knebel Corey MIL $10
    P Colome Alex CWS $6
    P Peacock Brad HOU $4
    P Hader Josh MIL $13

The minor leaguers I kept.
    Yordan Alvarez $3
    Carter Kieboom $1
    Luis Urias $1
    Dylan Cease $3
    Mitch Keller $1

Choo went for too much, but I had money left and he was the best of what I could afford. I'm hoping to add one more top prospect in the draft because Urias is likely to open in the majors. I doubt I can win with this, but finishing in the top half of the league would be nice progress.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  4. bigpern23

5. outofplace

I think Bregman is an easy call for your infield and Acuna is the better outfield option. The latter is a tough call with Soto, but Acuna was more highly regarded going into that and I thought his play held up better.

Regarding your pitchers, I think it depends on your format. I expect both Snell and Cole to regress a little, but their strengths should be similar to last season. Snell will get you better ratios. Cole will get you more innings and strikeouts. The wins could swing back Cole's way because he has a better team around him. I lean very slightly to Snell, but it really depends on the value of innings and/or strikeouts in your league.

I would definitely stay away from Severino. I was a little concerned about the drop-off even before finding out he was hurt and likely to miss all of April.

Guy_Incognito likes this.
  6. bigpern23

Pitching categories are W, L, SV, K, ERA and WHIP. Snell was better last year in ERA and WHIP, but Cole's FIP, xFIP, BABIP and SIERA suggest he should have been better than Snell in those categories on the whole. Snell won 21 games, compared to 15 for Cole, which could very well happen again - or not.

Both made significant jumps in K/9. Snell's ground ball ratio was far better and Cole's flyball ratio was up. In that ballpark, a high flyball ratio is worrisome.

As I type this, I'm leaning more toward Snell, but I don't freakin' know.

7. outofplace

It's a very tough call, but I agree with your lean.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I have a league with 10 keepers. I'm pretty sure what to do, but open for advice.

*Gary Sánchez NYY - C
    *Rhys Hoskins Phi - 1B,OF
    Robinson Canó NYM - 1B,2B
    *Alex Bregman Hou - 3B,SS
    *Jean Segura Phi - SS
    Kyle Schwarber ChC - OF
    *Starling Marte Pit - OF
    Franmil Reyes SD - OF
    *Jesús Aguilar Mil - 1B
    Trey Mancini Bal - 1B,OF
    Andrew McCutchen Phi - OF
    Miguel Andújar NYY - 3B
    Adam Eaton Was - OF
    Sergio Romo Mia - SP,RP
    Eric Skoglund KC - SP
    Roberto Osuna Hou - RP
    Zack Britton NYY - RP
    José Leclerc Tex - RP
    Dylan Covey CWS - SP,RP
    Rich Hill LAD - SP
    *Max Scherzer Was - SP
    Sean Doolittle Was - RP
    Robert Gsellman NYM - RP
    Dereck Rodríguez SF - SP
    Kyle Freeland Col - SP
    *Jacob deGrom NYM - SP
    German Márquez Col - SP
    Reynaldo López CWS - SP
    *Luis Severino NYY - SP
    *Trevor Bauer Cle - SP
    Jorge Soler KC - OF

The stars are the ones I'm planning to keep. It hurts to give up Andujar, but I think I have to.
    EDIT- I guess I could keep Andujar, or maybe even Osuna for Sanchez. What do you think?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  9. bigpern23

I'd keep Andujar over Marte in a minute. If you're worried about a logjam at 3B and SS with Segura and Bregman, I'd probably drop Segura and keep Andujar, unless you really need the steals.

I expect Sanchez to bounce back in a big way, and catcher is such a thin position, I wouldn't drop him in favor a reliever.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Marte, interesting. Really? Not sure. I'm not going to keep Osuna, but Marte is hard to let go of.

11. outofplace

How many outfield spots do you have?

12. bigpern23

Similar K and BB rates, both probably .285-.300 BA, Marte is only slightly better for OBP, but Andujar's slugging sets him apart from Marte. Marte is 30, so I don't expect him to break out with sudden power at this point in career. I don't see anything that Marte does appreciably better than Andujar except for stealing bases and Andujar's ceiling appears much higher. Personally, I don't prioritize SBs, so I land on Andujar. If you need SBs, Marte or Segura are better for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted