1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I will be fascinated to know if I can hear the cars from the RV park. We're only about 18 miles across the bay from the circuit, and just a couple of miles from Dan Andersen's office/kart track.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The entire IndyCar marketing department could fit around my kitchen table, so that should tell you about the size of the "IndyCar TV marketing department" that Norris refererences. Just inexcusable.

maumann and Huggy like this.
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Formula One: Drive to Survive is some superior 4K viewing on Netflix. Only watched the first episode, but damn the visuals are incredible. We'll see where the story takes it over the next few episodes.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I've also only seen the first one but it's beautifully done. As someone who follows the sport closely it's great to see the behind the scenes stuff because they're always been wildly protective of that sort of thing.

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Man you really got to feel for Ricciardo, who just seems starcrossed at him home race.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, out before the first corner without any major contact with anyone else. Dominant win by Bottas, great to see after the way he took a back seat to Hamilton last year.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If I’m NASCAR, I beg and plead for Netflix to send The Drive to Survive crew to document the season. I’m three episodes in and have never been more excited, or knowledgeable, about an F1 season.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The last third of Saturday's IndyCar Grand Prix had more action and excitement than the entire F1 season has had to date.

franticscribe and maumann like this.
  10. playthrough

And the ratings were up 30 percent from last year, thanks to NBC's promotional heft. Granted, IndyCar ratings are microscopic, but still. NBC's plans for the 500 are massive and hopefully the downward TV slide there will end too.

Liut and maumann like this.
  11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

My wife has noticed I've done less screaming at the television this season. Mainly because I want the announcers to tell me about stuff I DON'T ALREADY KNOW and show me somebody other than the leader. I shouldn't be sitting on my couch, noticing things five laps before Eddie Cheever and Scott Goodyear did.

Why are they doing what they're doing on the track and in the pits? Tell me.

I learned more about the details of the aero package watching the one-day open test than I learned in 40 years of watching ABC. And Paul Tracy saw 10 laps before it actually happened that Pagenaud could catch Dixon in the wet without any overtaking time remaining, because Dixon's handling went away under the previous green-flag stint. NBC caught a huge amount of passing throughout the field, and if they didn't get it live, they immediately replayed it.

And the one "wife" reaction shot -- ABC's trademark -- came in a replay after the race was over.

So nice to experience the race each week from the experts' perspective instead of two guys who sniped at each other's careers in jest for two hours.

Liut likes this.
  12. playthrough

Very inside-baseball here, but Hulman and Company (parent company of IMS and IndyCar) announced today the sale of Clabber Girl Corporation, makers of the little cans of baking powder that your mom and grandma probably have in their kitchen cabinet (if they have other cans of baking powder, it's likely that is Clabber Girl too under a different label). Long before Tony Hulman owned the Speedway, he and his family had an empire with Clabber Girl. It has always been an easy profit machine, and selling that only fills me with skepticism that Hulman and Co. needed some kind of cash infusion to prop up its motorsports business.

Liut and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted