1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Perfect film moment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Mar 8, 2019.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's such a good fucking movie. I'm still bewildered that it wasn't nominated for Best Picture. It was miles better than Babel, and also should have been nominated ahead of The Queen and Little Miss Sunshine (which I loved, but wasn't as good as Blood Diamond).

John B. Foster and Songbird like this.
  2. bigpern23

Give me the entrance to the Copa Cabana scene over the helicopter scene all day.

3. bigpern23

Damn good pull, and I like your description of how he took the drink. I think that's pretty spot on. Hadn't ever thought of it that way.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Love The Kid's realization, after thinking Will was past his prime for most of the movie, that he really is in the presence of one of the baddest motherfuckers in the West and he's hip deep in shit right now.
    How did Jaimz Woolvet (the actor who played The Kid) never do anything of consequence after that movie? He was pretty good in a big part in a Best Picture winner, and all his IMDB page shows after that is 30 years of one-off TV roles and no-name movies. You'd think he could have parlayed the Unforgiven role into at least a few decent supporting roles the few years afterward.

But I digress ... the bar showdown after that scene is a masterpiece, too.
    The way the conversation drops off as all the deputies see Will before Little Bill does. The great first line and the bad ass, matter of fact speech about killing women and children. Little Bill not backing down an inch, but still flinching when the shotgun misfires, and then instantly springing into action as he assesses the situation. Will calmly clearing out the room amidst the general panic.
    All capped off by that final scene between Will and Little Bill as both men resign themselves to their terrible fates. The acknowledging, "I'm ready. Do it," look from Bill as he gulps in what he knows is going to be his last breath.
    Bad. Fucking. Ass.

Joe Williams likes this.
  5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

"But that didn't scare Little Bill, did it?"

At this point the audience knows that they really are in the presence of one of the baddest motherfuckers in the West.

"Gimme your Schofield."

"What for, Will?"

"GIVE IT TO ME."

At this point the character knows that he really is in the presence of one of the baddest motherfuckers in the West.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Unforgiven is such an underrated movie (How do you say that about a Best Picture winner?) - the scene with The Kid. Little Bill's death, The Duc of Death...brutal as all hell. Took all the romanticism out of the Western.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The echoing of the baseball bat against stone and the slo-mo onto the German's face drips with intensity ...

... and the way Pitt eats the bagel as the German's head is being obliterated.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The wedding scene that opens The Godfather. Sets up all - or most - of the characters, with a little foreshadowing ("That's my family Kate, that's not me")....

HC likes this.
  10. Songbird

The train ride the Warriors take into the Bronx ... everything about this moment ... night ride on the train ... clacking of the rails ... the lighting ... the eery and ominous music ... the interspersed chats ... glimpses of the other gangs en route ... the blood-red letters ... it all gives you no choice to be up close and personal right off the bat.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Dog8Cats and Huggy like this.
  11. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

The phone call at the end is just magnificent. Not only was his chemistry with Maddy wonderful, his chemistry with Solomon was top notch.

“I’m the cameraman”

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. Songbird

Pretty crushing scene.

John B. Foster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted