1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alex Trebek/Jeopardy Tribute Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mwilliams685, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That's because Wheel of Fortune is to Jeopardy as Gray's Anatomy is to ER - a version for the not-so-smart.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't completely agree. The Price is Right wasn't the same for me after Bob Barker retired. Granted, there will eventually be a generation that loves Jeopardy! and didn't know Trebek, just like my generation didn't know Art Fleming.

wicked likes this.
  3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I FF through everything but the game itself and can knock out an episode in about 13 minutes. Mrs. W and our son love the backstories, while I just fidget.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

When Alex goes in whatever manner, I wonder if there are any more Cleveland stand-up comics available to replace him.

Drew Carey took over Price is Right. Steve Harvey now hosts Family Feud. What's Arsenio Hall doing??

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think that Ken Jennings is the logical replacement.

expendable and John B. Foster like this.
  7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Alex Trebek Know Exactly Who Should Replace Him on Jeopardy

“It’s probably going to be a woman, somebody younger, somebody bright, somebody personable, somebody with a great sense of humor,” he told moderator Michael McKean, according to USA Today. “So I nominated Betty White.”

Trebek went on to reveal a few of his more serious recommendations, including CNN analyst Laura Coates, LA Kings announcer Alex Faust and TCM host Ben Mankiewicz. “There are so many talented people out there that could do the job,” he said.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

With all due respect bc I love Trebek, but how much talent does that job take? Someone with a little more levity wouldn’t be a bad thing. I don’t think the ratings suffer no matter who is reading the questions. He doesn’t influence the game; he’s not nearly as hands on with the contestants as Harvey, Carey and even Sajak.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

But it's not really a show of influencing, except maybe when he suggests a Daily Double wager ("you could take the lead with a true Daily Double!"). Harvey's show is a gigglefest, Carey often has to deal with contestants who are hyperventilating and Sajak's not always given the brightest of the bright. Trebek's a pretty good match for his contestants and he does a darn good job of keeping the game moving if you think about it, with 72 questions/answers plus the final in under 20 minutes.

Slacker likes this.
  10. RARist

RARist Member

SCTV's years ago tribute to Alex Trebel, inspired by an actual Canadian community cable show
    Eugene O'Levy, Catherine O'Hara, John Candy, Joe Flaherty, Andrea Martin

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I was going to say I hope SNL does a "Heavenly Jeopardy" skit with Trebek and Sean Connery.

Then I found out the real Connery is still alive. (Trebek is too, of course.)

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Contestant: Alex Trebek's Successor, for $2,000 please Alex.
    AT: He's young, he's got a big personality, wears bowties and professed his desire to eventually replace me.
    C: Who is Buzzy?
    AT: Correct!

Draft saved Draft deleted