1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

All Stroll has done is deplete daddy's rather large bank account.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm really curious to see him next year in a decent car. That Williams is an absolute pig so it's really hard to judge him so far. I don't expect him to set the world on fire, but he was really good in the lower series before making the (premature) jump to F1. He might be OK.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Very shaky. But NBC can get away with a half-hearted investigation and sticking with Tracy because it's IndyCar, there's not enough national interest for there to be any national media outrage. And probably says something about the dearth of voices in open-wheel racing, NBC didn't want the trouble of finding someone else.

5. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Would have turned 69 today. One of the best to ever do it, IMO.

Huggy and maumann like this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Used to go to Road America all the time when I was a kid. I loved sitting in Canada Corner.

maumann likes this.
  8. playthrough

The digital innovations are nice and all (Verizon brought innovation too, for a while), but IndyCar still needs to do a far, far better job of marketing the drivers. Series officials are convinced that the way to get millennials is through tech, I say it's through Josef Newgarden.

2muchcoffeeman, maumann and wicked like this.
  9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

So here we are, four days out from the green flag dropping on the IndyCar season in St. Pete's and there is still no deal in place to show the series in Canada, home to a large fan base, one of the races and to one of most visible drivers in the series. Previously the races had been on the Rogers family of channels - they have something like seven channels devoted to sports - but changes at the top of that company have resulted in racing being bypassed and TSN - which shows the Sky F1 package and NASCAR among its five channels - has no interest.

Twitterverse rumblings have a deal coming this week but if nothing gets done Canuckistani IndyCar fans will be left with about half the series - but not including the Toronto race - available on NBC.

EDIT: Just after posting this I saw this: INDYCAR Media secures wide-ranging international broadcast deals

Canadian fans can watch on SN NOW+, which I have never heard of but must be some streaming service and Sportsnet World, a pay channel which shows mostly soccer and other European sports. Thanks for nothing....and they wonder why race fans flock to Montreal for the Grand Prix while avoiding the Toronto Indy.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    maumann likes this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As if we didn't already have enough great reasons to move to Canada.

Huggy likes this.
  11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

We're in Palmetto this month. Wanted to go to Friday's sessions but Mom and Dad are meeting us at the Strawberry Festival in Plant City. If we get a chance to go Saturday, I'll update the thread with my observations of St. Pete.

12. playthrough

Can't argue going to the Strawberry Festival over an inconsequential IndyCar practice day. Have a shortcake for me.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted