1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So the Masked Singer - the consensus guesses for the identies have all be right since about week 3. How are you supposed to guess the singer when they have masks and they disguise the voice? Shoot, Marie Osmond was giving the clue makers a bad time.

Back on Jan. 8, "Access Hollywood" interviewed Marie Osmondabout “The Masked Singer” and the ongoing theories that her brother Donny Osmond is the Peacock performer

• When asked about these rumors, Marie Osmond didn’t deny it.
    • “I told him, I said, ‘Why are you giving away such easy clues?,'” Marie told "Access."
    • When asked if she just confirmed that Osmond is the Peacock, she said:
    • “I know that we started at NBC, which was the peacock.”

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I liked the show at first but then lost interest. It was pretty obvious who each singer was as they gave more clues. Every singer was correctly guessed weeks ago.

Series would have worked better over a shorter time period. Maybe showdowns each week with a couple unmaskings.

3. DanOregon

watched some of the performances, then just read the recaps. Didn't see the point of sitting down for an hour of that. Just a weird idea for a show though - what is the point of getting well-known singers if you're going to mess with their voice?

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Free Solo is on Nat Geo at 8 pm Central tonight, supposedly without commercials. Because there’s no IMAX showing anywhere around here, the TV version will have to do.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I have begun watching "Six Feet Under" from the start (I'd seen occasional episodes before). Outstanding TV.

lakefront likes this.
  7. DanOregon

American Vandal has wrecked true crime shows for me. I was never a fan of them when TV magazines do them - it's a weird hybrid of journalism and entertainment. But seeing the same tropes, music, shots and editing... like Fonzie strapping on water skis.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

AV is not meant to be funny. It is at times, but the theme of season 1 is fuck you you shitty adults who are raising us and season two is about the pressure of being a teen in the digital age.

There is no greater villain than the Spanish teacher in season 1.

9. DanOregon

I think AV is supposed to be funny - but it also has a lot more depth. Come for the dick jokes, stay for the polemic on bullying and peer pressure. And stylistically - the moody music and drone shots of empty roads, people in sillouhette...it's all there.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. I thought both scenes were well done, though I still believe the best Punisher we've seen was in the second season of Daredevil. I know Netflix cancelled all of its Marvel series, but I do hope we see Bernthal as the Punisher again. I've seen Lundgren, Jane and Stevenson and none of them stack up to Bernthal's take on Frank Castle.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

AV might be the best thing on Netflix.

The horchata is a superior bevridge.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

There were too many recognizable actors in the second season of American Vandal. Took you out of the true crime documentary feel.

Draft saved Draft deleted