1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any other United Methodists here?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I heard this years ago, and it makes more sense to me than anything I have heard in any church. I like the structure and the values that a church gives, but this is the first time that a value has been totally against what we stand for.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Anyone care to take a stab at explaining to this former Roman Catholic just what the heck the difference is between Methodist, Presbyterian and Baptist?

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Here is a rough diagram of how the Christian denominations have branched off over the years: (Naturally there are hundreds of them, so to list them all would take pages and pages.)
    [​IMG]

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I thought that meant no interracial sex. ???

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

There is something in there like that about farm animals.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I am a Presbyterian. We acknowledge each other in the liquor store.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Leviticus exists to creates rules - profound in their day - around how Israel could survive as a nation.

My general impression of the Bible’s take on homosexuality is that it is sinful, but how that relates to the political state - which Christianity should not aspire to be - is unclear. I’m not sure it does relate.

As for the Methodist Church, well, I’m not Methodist, but, if we’re talking about Christianity, and not human secularism, then the decision seems fairly in line with the Bible.

I’d rather love it if many denominations took on greed with such ferocity.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Gather four Episcopalians and they will eventually produce a fifth.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Then some fellow named Jesus comes along and says things about loving each other and treating each other with respect.

I like the Jesus part of the Bible better.

Wenders, Driftwood and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I'm Methodist, if anything. The church I was raised in did not preach a whole lot of anything. It was just a nice community of people from around the area. They did things together outside church. It became almost a social club. Eventually it evolved into bridge clubs, a golf league and a nice croup of carolers at Christmas. That was years ago, though. My parents' generation is dying off. We had our son baptized there four years ago and the choir, which once boasted at least 30 people, had four members. There were maybe 40 people in the sanctuary for the regular Sunday service, when it used to be packed. In the four years since, the church closed its doors, sold the building to a school and combined membership with another nearby group. Not sure what Methodists believe around here, but they don't apparently believe in going to church much anymore.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We had a bit of a row in Sunday School about this.

An older member came out in favor of the Traditionalist Plan, she cited Leviticus 18:22. A younger member then asked if she was going to call for our senior pastor to be booted from the ministry because he and his wife were both previously married and she cited Matthew 19:9. The older member was flustered by that and said "Don't be ridiculous."

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How much of the Old Testament is the New Testament meant to overturn?

There are 613 commandments in the Old Testament.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted