1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kansas City radio guy gets fired up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Feb 25, 2019.

1. If you're a journalist, there is a different standard. If he was there on his credential, he'd have to convince me not to fire him, and it would not be easy for him to do. If he's there on his own dime, it's still a problem. Depending on how visible he is in the market, he's representing his media outlet. if you're working in this industry, you give up some of your right to be a fan. In some cases, a lot of your right to be a fan. I've seen Eagles beat writers post things on Twitter or write things were just totally unprofessional. You can't be a fan in the press box.

BurnsWhenIPee and Fredrick like this.
  2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

You make a lot of weird assumptions about me and my life.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Exception: Unless you are shaming someone connected to Duke. They are all fair game.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He's a public figure.

It's probably fair to scrutinize some of his public behavior, especially in that setting.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I think Twitter shaming is a punishment. A very valid one.

My first page of a Google search is clean. No scandal, arrest, even something like this. That is the currency because it means you don’t have to answer a negative question about your past that a future employer sees and notes.

Now Nate has this on his Google search. To me, that’s punishment enough. He’ll have to answer for this the rest of his career, in some form.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Haha! I like it.

7. Doc Holliday

Really? A sports information assistant is a public figure? Doesn't take much to be famous these days I guess.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. Doc Holliday

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Wait, you thought you were talking about a KU sports information assistant when you said this??

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure it has been brought up - but when you are in broadcast, your job is at the absolute discretion of the teams you are working for. It's also happened that a sports talker on a flagship station has been dumped due to criticism of the home team.

12. Doc Holliday

Yes. I thought he worked for KU. I misunderstood the post. But even with him not affiliated with KU, it doesn't surprise me. I see fanboys in the media everywhere, especially television and radio. Makes my stomach turn. Today's media is not anywhere close to what it was when I got into this business.

While Fanboy Syndrome occasionally happens to newspaper reporters (mostly at smaller dailies, weeklies, etc.), it doesn't happen to them with nearly the same frequency as those in TV and radio, and rarely ever to writers at larger outlets.

Of course, the fan/recruiting website writers, bloggers, whatever the fuck they are, are complete assface morons without one ounce of integrity to them.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Vombatus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted