1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Is that supposed to say $1.99 a month, or $1.99/x-months? Either way, I might be interested in that, but the second one would be way better! Not wild about their "all-star" writers in Cleveland, though, especially where the Browns are concerned. And their best Cavs guy seems to have promoted himself to columnist.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's billed annually.

My subscription ran out last August or September, so I haven't read too much since they shuffled around some roles. Even if there were no Cleveland site, I think it would be worth that amount for their national writers. Probably worth the regular amount, but if you can get it 60% off it's almost like I have to do it.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The Cleveland editor talks about some of the changes in this podcast:

They've sent the Cavs writer off to mostly cover LeBron b/c he has a great relationship w/LeBron and the Cavs suck.

4. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

And LeBron’s team doesn’t?

I kid. The Athletic already has a Lakers writer, but I guess documenting the most disappointing season in team history is something that might take two.

5. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

6. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Nevermind we good now

7. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

That’s seems like some lowly person in the communications department attempted to make a power play until their boss read Twitter. Just dumb.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Got a sub for like $47 for a year. That’s pretty damn cheap. I gave it a trial for a week and I really like the writing. It’s got quirky stuff too, so might just pitch them.

9. Got mine for $24 on Black Friday. Wasn’t going to renew (subscription expired a few weeks before) but decided to for that price.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

There is certainly more national interest in LeBron than the Cavs this year. Is there more local interest in Cleveland in LeBron than the Cavs? I would guess there is more interest in the region than the travails LeBron and the Lakers than the Cavs.

11. Joe Vardon covered the Cavs for the entire LeBron era, and is one of three reporters from that market who are closer to him than anyone. Why wouldn't you utilize a guy with those relationships to cover LeBron when you can?

12. Writer

Writer Member

They are. He's been in L.A. covering LeBron for awhile now. Also sounds like he will in the future too.

Tweener likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted