1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any other United Methodists here?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 27, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So is it/was it up to the individual churches to figure out how strict they wanted to be?

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Inky_Wretch and Vombatus like this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch and OscarMadison like this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

From what I understand, most of the delegation from my area voted in favor of being more inclusive, and since returning, the majority of the preachers have said they didn't care; if someone wants to come to church, they are welcome.

I'm far from being any kind of advocate. I'm more of a live and let live kind of guy, and I enjoy calling out hypocrites.

Whenever one of the evangelical, Bible-thumping types we have around here starts quoting Leviticus and homosexuality being an abomination, I ask them if they've ever played a garden because the same book they are citing also says not to plant two types of seeds in the same field (along with a dozen or more other nonsensical things). That usually ends the conversation.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

My family is, and my wife is pissed. I’m at least glad they are talking about it. Talking about it means change will come in time.

How many other churches are even talking about this? Catholics? Lutherans?

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The original texts were written in Greek and Hebrew and not in the King's English, much to the chagrin of some. ADD: They were translated into Latin and existed in monasteries for centuries before they were translated again into the vernacular, with lots of opportunities in between for translation discrepancies.

8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

My mother is UMC and she is gutted.

On paper, I'm Episcopalian and will go back to church when I find one that doesn't sap my will to live. I miss church. I've seen the purple primates go back and forth on this issue for a long time. It always seems to come down to what the Eastern congregants want. It's tragic that churches in places like Uganda throw fits because a church or two hundred in the US is open to everybody. How dare we?

To that, I say, follow the money. It's a good bet the same hateful movers and shakers who shitstir in the Anglican congos are telling the Methodists over there they got trouble with a capital T.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

It depends. Some Protestant churches have very centralized hierarchies while others are very decentralized. It largely depends on whether at the founding the governance was modeled upon a version of the Catholics Church governance or as a reaction against the Catholic Church. The Methodists are more centralized.

One issue is whether the congregation owns the church or if the governing body does. The governing body owns the Methodist Church so if a local congregation does not follow church policy they can be evicted. Other churches, such as the United Church of Christ, own their own buildings and can leave the central denomination.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Heh, I like to ask them if they are football fans and if so, then how can they support the touching of a dead pig’s skin. Then I point out that if they are NFL fans, that they are suporting people working for amusement on the Sabbath.

I usually get the “don’t be ridiculous” reaction.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As is the case with so much of the bible, I'm not sure there's a clear answer in scripture here for folks.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the clear answer for people in these parts is cherry pick the parts you like and ignore the rest.

Draft saved Draft deleted