1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jill Abramson doesn't record interviews thanks to almost photographic memory

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Feb 5, 2019.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I've never been a fan of recording. Too time consuming, and I've never had trouble getting accurate quotes into my notebook. It helps to control the interview to avoid those long rambling sessions that pop up from time to time.

Also, know what you want to ask and get to the point. I've stood my some competing reporters who will talk a person's ear off for 15 minutes and you'll look at their story and find one quote.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The book isn’t in the top five. What was the expectation?

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of recording, especially since a guy said he and his wife told me not to put his kids' names in a harmless feature story I was doing about their house. The recording had on it me asking the wife the kids' names and ages and she never said don't use them. The parents posed for pictures in front of the house with their children! The dude never asked or told me not to use that information, and I have it backed up by the recording.

I actually now record every interview twice: on my phone and on my recorder, just in case one of the blows up or something.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

What about a longer feature article? I always found that very difficult to write down quotes and background while still having an engaging conversation.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I am a fan of recording everything so I can prove I've got it if I need to. Sometimes people will dispute their own quotes when the story gets dicey.

However, I'm amazed at reporters that do what you say. I've seen it hundreds of times. Long-ass interviews about someone's life history. Then one fucking quote in the story. Makes me want to choke them.

Flip Wilson and tapintoamerica like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted