1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Van Halen Song

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by typefitter, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Diamond Dave was a massive asshole, but Eddie might have him beat there.

Hagar, by most accounts, was a decent guy.

Not that this has anything to do with their music.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I can fully understand why the band might have gotten thoroughly sick of Roth's shit. I can't imagine being around that guy constantly.

He was a great front man, though, and they traded him in for the most generic rock singer in the world. Might as well have been Billy Squier or about a dozen other guys. They had a few good songs but became infinitely less interesting.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Can't pick one song but wouldn't argue with most of the choices here. "Little Guitars" (and most of the Diver Down album) get a nod from me too.

Dyno and exmediahack like this.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Edward has managed to alienate more people than DLR did, which is quite the accomplishment.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

MacNeil is right. Hagar would be one of those guys you would love to jam with and get hammered with.
    I dig the FUCK album but as far as being better than anything, it's not even close.
    1 is pure Rock. In its simplest form. 1984 has 3 or 4 songs that when you're driving down the road, you'll stop and listen to the rest of the song. Van Halen III with Cherone never existed. Just like Caddyshack 2 or anything after the first Major League. Good call earlier on Me Wise Magic. One of DLR's newer songs that very rarely saw any airplay. The song from Twister "Humans Being" was very lipsticky and radio friendly, but had a nice little rhythm to it.
    Favorite song? I don't know. But they've got a whole catalog of them that I dig a lot, and not one of them is from Cherone.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Another top pick from 1984 ...

7. Songbird

Magnetic. Electric. Unable to take your eyes off him. A lead of leads who sang and danced to some great music.

Someone mentioned his voice sucking reminded me of someone else here who called Sinatra's voice tinny lol

If "tinny" is your takeaway from Sinatra then you're just not doing this right.

Same applies to David Lee Roth. For that handful of years he was rock's undeniable "It" of Its.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

For an SJ list, I’ll let you all figure out the first five.

But, sixth has to be:

6 = Hot For Teacher

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Is 1985 peak Diamond Dave? Just before he goes solo?

10. Songbird

That was peak Diamond Dave. Then he went solo and that was the end of David Lee Roth as we knew it.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Love the first two albums and 1984 ("Top Jimmy" is a killer song on that one) but I will show some love to Women and Children First and Fair Warning. Some killer stuff on Women and Children First like "And The Cradle Will Rock", "Everybody Wants Some!" and "Take Your Whiskey Home" and "Mean Street" and "Unchained" on Fair Warning.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Various pages on the intertoobs are bubbling with hot rumors VH may stage an "original lineup" reunion tour this summer with Michael Anthony back on bass and Wolfie switching off to rhythm/ keyboards/ various utility roles.

Draft saved Draft deleted