1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018-19 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I should clarify.

This offer makes a lot more sense to me from the GM's side of the desk, especially given the questions about Harper's durability.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

then maybe Harper isn't as vain as pretends to be. He's not betting on himself now. He took the low average for high aggregate, rather than playing for richest annual salary for 4 years and going out and besting it while still in his prime. He took the sure thing. Stanton's deal, factoring inflation since 2014 may be equal to Harper's. Many player make more per year. He's not even the highest paid player on his team next season.
    In 6 years will we hear how woefully underpaid Harper is compared to the dozen players making in excess of 26 million?

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

He did a year of JuCo so he could be drafted a year early.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Dodgers still haven't won a World Series since 1987. Sure, they've been there two years in a row, but the Phillies should be in the mix the next few years, so it's not like he's abandoning a great chance at winning by going there.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. heyabbott

Phillies have 2 World Series/Championships in 136 years. The Philadelphia Athletics had 5 WS Championships in 54 years.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Zero relevance to Harper's decision.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

At least in Larry's defense she apparently falls down in the chair without him shoving her or anything along those lines, he grabs at the phone in her hand and that's what appears to cause the falling (and screaming). I bet the phone (his it appears) had some mysterious texts or phone calls. Damn, 23 yrs ago I met them on my honeymoon on a Hawaiian beach. Time flies.

lakefront likes this.
  9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Touche.

10. heyabbott

absolutely correct. Winning had nothing to do with choosing Philly. 13 and 330 were the only considerations. If Seattle or Toronto or Hanshin went 14/ 340 he'd be there

11. heyabbott

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Informal survey of lifelong Phillies fans, a/k/a my brothers has the following reaction, to quote the more succinct reply "Stupid. We need pitching." Good luck with those fans, Bryce! Better hit 50.

Draft saved Draft deleted