1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please allow me to interject my feelings about Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Snowing here outside Boston now. Maybe 3-5 inches. Then Sunday night we get over a foot. Then temperatures stay below freezing for at least a week. Traditional opening day for golf courses hereabouts (a day often missed) is April 1. This year it might be Mother's Day if we're lucky. Two feet of snow frozen solid takes a long time to melt.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Uhhhhh, please have that situation rectified by April 11-13 because I will be visiting Boston then. Thank you in advance.

4. Michael_ Gee

It should be in the 40s by then. Here's a line from a British soldier from a letter he wrote home about a week before the battles of Lexington and Concord. "There is no spring here, only a kind of second winter."

5. Driftwood

That means the night time temps are going to suuuuuuuck, and we are doing a Salem witch tour the night of the 11th and seeing the Red Sox on the 12th.

6. Michael_ Gee

Probably in the mid to high 30s. Hey, it can be warmer, also colder, but that's the usual range.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We're already crapping our pants here in the lower Mississippi River Valley about flooding this spring. We've had a wet winter and are already getting to flood stages that are high for this time of year. Worse, the snow melt from up north won't make its way down here until April or so. So even if we get a dry spell that empties some of this out, the river is going to stay high for a long time.
    The record flood in these parts was in 2011. Heard someone say today that the various backwaters are higher now than they were in March of that year.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My parents were going to drive back to Cali and I told them to leave early this morning. Nope. Now they're here until Tuesday as a major storm socks the central Rockies. Up to 2 feet of snow in some spots. Snowing here now at 5280. Yes, there can be excess snow and rain, but I don't complain because it's needed for the water supply as we have no watersheds that flow into the state, all flow out.

We're above average in all basins for the year and statewide. But after 18 months of drought ... nope, not complaining.

9. Michael_ Gee

I'd rather have a hundred one-foot snowfalls than one flood. Weather here in Boston is often miserable, but seldom super disruptive.

Batman likes this.
  10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My in-laws made it from Vegas to Tahoe today. They followed the snow plow. It took about 15 minutes.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Agreed. But if you've ever heard the panic over snow in my corner of the world, you would shake your head in disbelief.

They don't get that you usually have a decent chance against snow ... not so much against a flood. Too many around here are moaning and griping because it's not warm.

Bad enough that the roads are not taken care of during inclement weather in winter. But then you add the idiots who are rubbernecking and/or have zero clue to give people more space and drive without stomping on the accelerator, slamming on the brakes, etc ...

12. Driftwood

We set a record here in early Feb. with a 78 degree day. It was in the mid 60s yesterday. By Wednesday, it's not supposed to be above freezing with nighttime temps in the teens.

Draft saved Draft deleted