1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018-19 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Good time to mention here that middleweight champ Saul Alvarez did a $365 million / 5 year deal with a streaming service last fall.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If the trend continues - by the end of the contract the average age of a baseball fan will be close to 70.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm almost 70 NOW! What bothers me as a Phillies fan is the non-zero chance Bryce Harper's contract will outlive me.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Now Harper can be hated in all four NL East cities. *

* Miami doesn’t count.

5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I don't fault Bryce for getting paid. I'll boo him, because I cheer for the good guys - the ones with the Curly W's, of course.

Teamwise, I'm good with it. Baseball is about 25 guys, and to have that much payroll tied up for the next 13 years in a contract you're never going to be able to unload?

If Harper is Pujols, and the Phillies are the Angels, I'm happy to play the role of the Cardinals.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I won't boo him for leaving Washington. I will boo him for leaving to sign a contract just to break Stanton's record of 13/325. He doesn't owe DC anything and signing with Philly will just create a hated rivalry for Nats fans who are good fans but lack an edge.
    Here's hoping Scherzer parks the first pitch in his ass

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Insane.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As Harper's pretend voice, I'd like to remind everyone of what it took to get to this point of freedom:

Get HS/GED at age 16;
    Play two years of JC ball;
    Drafted at 18;
    Make majors at 19;
    Give DC 7 years of service at preset salary structure with no competitive bidders;
    Finally, provide MVP season and multiple other All-Star level performances

All without having one opportunity to receive offers from more than one paying party, ever.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And... only have 3 or 4 prime years left.

The system is screwed up.

10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Poor guy scraped by on $21 million last year.

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

he did get 49.7 million for 8 years, including 21 million last year, which is only 4 million less than his average salary next year.

and he never got his team a payoff series win
    he's hit .211 in 19 playoff games with a .801 OPS in 89 playoff plate appearances.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Pretty good deal for a guy who has never won a playoff series.
    Walgreens will still be one of MLB’s favored few, but their national brand identity has taken a hit.

Draft saved Draft deleted