1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Increasingly, I'm told, the Athletic is viewing itself not through a market-by-market lens but by a "vertical" lens. That is, they're looking at things in terms of NHL, baseball, NFL, NBA, college instead of Toronto, New York, Boston, L.A. The "market" is gradually becoming less and less relevant as they build a national subscriber base.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

But then do you add staff for 1-AA football teams and college hockey in which national interest is minimal?

3. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Well The Athletic definitely needs a Gonzaga writer. Would be great to have a writer based in the Palouse area

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I would agree with that. Gonzaga does draw some national interest.

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Not a chance; they're going to have enough trouble surviving as is.

6. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Honest question, which job is more likely to be here in 5 years? 10?

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Yeah, The Washington Post isn't exactly "any other newspaper." If you love journalism and have a chance to work at the Post, the NYT or WSJ, you take it, no questions asked.

Pilot likes this.
  9. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

That’s actually my point. I’m pretty sure the majority on this board, according to the comments I’ve read, have at one point thought The Athletic was the ultimate destination for a sports reporter.

I’d prefer to work for the Post, too. I thought I was alone on this board.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  10. I’d bet he’s in line to become a pro beat writer there in a matter of a couple of years. Look how fast Jesse Dougherty moved from preps to Nats beat writer. There’s been turnover among the Post’s beat writers, whether they get a job at another place or cover news.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And per the link, part of the gig includes being the backup Nats writer. And he did his internship at the Post.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If you’re good, the Post will move you up the ladder quickly, more so than other places it seems. And he’s no longer covering the No. 10 beat in LA.

Draft saved Draft deleted