1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any other United Methodists here?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 27, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Am I confusing the Methodists with the Lutherans in each having conservative and liberal branches?

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

My wife is. She's devastated by this news.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wish I had such an attachment to the Catholic Church that such news would upset me. I've always viewed faith as the thing and the various organizations and hierarchies have as much to do with my faith as the stadium my favorite team plays in.

People that require a rigid religion to stay on the straight and narrow, really have a warped idea of Christianity.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A Presbyterian minister I know told me this once: A Presbyterian is just a Methodist who makes more than $50,000 a year! I chuckled.

I was raised Jewish, am kind of non-religious now. During the end stage of my marriage, when we were semi trying to work it out, we went to a Methodist church her dad frequented. The pastor there was a great guy and we hit it off really well. Friends to this day (and he just moved to a church near my kids so I hope to see him again soon). Real eager to see what he thinks about this.

I can't support a church with that kind of stance. Again, I'm not real religious and probably shouldn't wade it but the question I always have is, "Didn't God make ALL of us?"

Flip Wilson likes this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This is one reason I like being a Reformed Jew. We accept LGBTQs based on the belief that God made everyone uniquely.

Plus, I like to point out that God calls homosexuality an abomination, but he doesn’t call slavery an abomination. A man owning another man is OK in God’s book, but heaven forbid if the two of them have consensual sex.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I mean, yes, sure. “Religion” exists in part to create some accountability, some framework. And, in some cases, denominations exist because of schisms. Like the one about to happen here.

The LGBT/Christianity question is among the hardest to have. Where I often end up in the argument with others is: If there’s a Christian God - and I believe there is - then God is God, and far be it from me to declare, for absolute certain, the eternal fate of any practicing member of the LGBT community. But far be it from you to do the same in certain opposition. Let’s both pray and read more on it.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

9. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

Our family is Methodist. Honestly, the church should just go ahead and split.

The One Church Plan was weird, even if it was better than the Traditional Plan. In 2019, it's hard to have a major denomination like UMC co-exist with such a major split on a huge social issue. IMHO, it would be incredibly strange in the U.S. to have some UMC churches that were "gay friendly" and some that weren't.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The reason that the Anglican church in the U.K. is called the Episcopalian church in the United States is because the church split after the Revolution. The Americans did not want the Archbishop of Canterbury to be the had of their church and adopted a separate governing structure.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Nope. It happens in virtually every Protestant churches.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted