1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Movie Awards Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

upload_2019-2-27_14-10-24.png

In the video category. Who cares. Well, I'm sure Burke cares, but's still.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

1) There are not one but two video categories at the National Magazine Awards.

2) There is no category for Best Profile anymore.

3) Deadspin is considered a magazine under the auspices of ASME.

4) As far as I understand it, Burke has been laid off from Deadspin, so that should be a hilariously awkward night for them.

5) Only No. 4 gives me any joy.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It was breathtaking. I mean, literally. There were some panoramic shots that made me gasp when I saw them in IMAX.

And even though I've followed Honnold for years and knew he made the climb, I kept thinking "HOLY SHIT, DON'T FALL!"

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Just talking about movies and how they get made and where they get shown, if you ever have the chance to see "The Dekalog" in a theater, do so.

One of the greatest films of the 20th century, it was originally made for Polish television by Krzysztof Kieślowski. 1988.

A monumental work of art.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was pumped when I saw it was getting an IMAX release, but it didn't come to the nearest IMAX theater which is an hour away. I think the closest place it showed was Boston and I couldn't make a trip to Beantown just for the movie (which nobody else I know wanted any part of watching in IMAX).

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

To go back a few pages, white butthurt is voting down Captain Marvel on Rotten Tomatoes and their do you want to see it. It's under 30%.

I guess they are just putting that woman in her place for speaking her mind or having an opinion.

8. typefitter

I saw it twice, too, and one of my favourite moments in a cinema was the first time. My hands were so sweaty, I was rubbing them on my pant legs. And then this guy next me, massive, burly guy, puts his face into my shoulder and groans. Could not watch. That movie is so fucking scary it made a giant man use me as a security pillow.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. typefitter

Good a place as any to put this. Honnold breaks down climbing scenes in various movies. He's just an impossible guy not to like. He loves climbing so much.

Also his fingers are crazy.

Inky_Wretch and Batman like this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware of this, but while all of the other awards are won with a plurality - most votes wins, the Best Picture award is ranked choice, which makes Green Book's win even harder to believe. My ballot would have looked like this.
    1. Black Panther 2. The Favourite 3. Vice 4. Black Klansman 5. A Star is Born 6. Bohemian Rhapsody 7. Green Book and 8. Roma.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You are not a studio executive or employee in their late 50s or early 60s, the Academy's decisive voting bloc.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was really surprised Marvel hadn't one a single award before. Figure so many people in Hollywood make money off of them, they would had thrown them a visual effects bone by now. I do think BP was underrated - perhaps overwhelmed by the spectacle - the relationship between Jordan and Boseman's characters was the heart of that movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted