1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Movie Awards Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Dec 7, 2018.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Netflix gamed the rules to be eligible for Oscar contention, which sucks. Netflix is a TV service. They should be competing for Emmys, not Oscars. I don't feel bad if Academy members recognize the game it's playing and don't vote for Netflix films.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Netflix is producing movies. Why does it matter where people watch them? The Academy sends out screeners for voters to watch in their homes.

3. bigpern23

NBC, ABC and CBS have been producing movies for decades. They don't get consideration for Oscars. If NBC starts screening a movie of the week in 100 theaters on the same day it is broadcast on the air, are we going to start considering those for Oscars as well?

The medium absolutely matters. That's why there are separate awards for television and film in the first place.

Netflix is a TV service.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why not?

Netflix is a vertically integrated movie and television studio, just like Disney or Paramount or NBC Universal.

I don't necessarily disagree with your point that there should be some differentiation between content eligible for an Academy Award and content that's ineligible. (Just like I don't think magazines should be eligible for the Pulitzer.)

But that said, there's no real reason a movie can't open in theaters the same day it starts streaming.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Agrees.

[​IMG]

Kato likes this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Exactly. Can’t have it both ways. Should movies that premiered in theaters later be eligible for Emmys when they run on TNT or, uh, Neflix?

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Deadspin is apparently eligible for National Magazine Awards, so burn it all down.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Well, Vivid Video is technically eligible for the Oscars, too, but I wouldn't worry about those smut-peddlers nabbing an Oscar...

9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Deadspin got nominated this year.

10. bigpern23

That wasn't really my point. My point is that Netflix is screening the film in the minimum required number of theaters specifically for the purpose of becoming eligible, and releasing it on its streaming service the same day because they are ostensibly a television service. I think if it were NBCUniversal doing the same thing, people would not think of those films as Oscar worthy.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Spielberg's on your side.

In Oscar Bid, Netflix Will Release 3 Movies in Theaters First

Per tf, however, I think changing technologies inevitably mean changing awards structures, so we'll be arguing about all this for the next few years.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Netflix isn't making the same movies as NBC, ABC, or CBS used to make. The movies it produces are on the same level, made by the same people as theatrical releases. Netflix movies should be judged against its peers, which are movie-studio produced films. I would say the same for movies that HBO makes or buys, like the Liberace movie, which I believe was started with the intention to be a theatrical release.

Draft saved Draft deleted