1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any other United Methodists here?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If so, I'm wondering about your thoughts and feelings about the General Conference and the One Church Plan backfiring on the US bishops.

I'm really struggling with a denomination whose slogan is "Open hearts, open minds, open doors" going backward in terms of treating LGBTQ folks as equals.

(For those not following along ... United Methodists Fracture: LGBTQ Plan Rejected - The Atlantic)

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I was raised Methodist and my wife and son are members. I’ve been attending because our son plays as part of a string ensemble during Sunday service. Last night he said that, unless he gets a very good explanation from the pastor, he will probably quit the group and the church. Then, I will have little reason to attend.

lakefront likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

I'm really struggling right now. Luckily, our pastors are too. They are aghast at the Traditional Plan passing. Honestly, at this point, I'm hoping for a schism.

Wenders likes this.
  4. Oggiedoggie

A complicating factor in any split is that the national Methodist Church almost always holds title to local church properties. Congregations can leave, but the property will remain with the conference.

The average age of Methodists is about 60. The church I attend (and give money to) is next to a university and attracting students is one of its stated goals. I see less of a chance of that happening after this vote.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I think the larger threat would be a schism between the international Methodist church and the church organization in the U.S rather than individual churches leaving. I don't think it will happen, but I know a LOT of churches here in the U.S. are not happy.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I grew up in the Methodist church, was even president of the youth group at one time. I don’t go to church much anymore, but was pretty surprised by the news because Methodists always seemed pretty chill about stuff like that and tried to avoid taking much of a stand on any of the big issues. Just be good to people seemed to be the message.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

From the article:

Although the United Methodist Church is often described as a liberal, mainline Protestant denomination, in reality, the body is much more split, even in the United States. In a poll of its American members, the denomination found that 44 percent of respondents described their religious beliefs as traditional or conservative, 28 percent said they are moderate or centrist, and 20 percent identified as progressive or liberal. While the survey didn’t ask directly about LGBTQ issues, this is one of the clear theological dividing lines in the denomination. “There are thousands of us in churches … fiercely committed to a traditional definition of marriage: one man and one woman,” said Aislinn Deviney, a delegate from Rio, Texas. “I am a young, evangelical delegate. We young evangelicals want you to know that we are here. And we are striving to leave a legacy of scriptural holiness for generations to come.”

Worldwide, those numbers would likely shift even more toward a so-called traditional perspective.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If by "chill," you mean "worldly" then yes, it was that. In Christian terms, it's not particularly a compliment, either.

9. Inky_Wretch

That's the schism I'm hoping happens.

It's so maddening to see this play out. Traditionalists are pounding the table about no gray area regarding homosexuality, but there are other issues where gray is the predominant color. We have Methodists who are in favor of the death penalty, others who are against it. Members of the military and pacifists. Folks who believe divorce is a sin and divorced (and remarried) pastors. Folks who think drinking alcohol is a sin and those who see no problem with drinking a couple of beers (including pastors).

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Grew up Methodist, but haven't been to church in nearly 50 years, since I got confirmed and my parents said I did not have to attend if I did not want to. I didn't.

If I returned to church today, I'd be Presbyterian.

11. Oggiedoggie

There was a big split in the Methodist Church in 1845 over slavery. The church didn’t come back together until 1939 and the Church wasn’t officially fully integrated until 1968.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Drinking alcohol is not a sin. Drunkenness is. I'm sorry there are people who'd believe that. It's not in the Bible, not drinking at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted