1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cuts coming to McClatchy papers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Aug 21, 2018.

1. @CWrightSDS

@CWrightSDS Member

So Robyn has posted the ads: 2 people will tag-team Charlotte and Raleigh.
    Top position is Senior Sports Editor. Their preference is for this person to be in Charlotte, overseeing both staffs, enterprise, projects, digital, etc.
    The other is Sports Editor, more of the assignment editor, but for ACC and pro teams in both markets. Their preference is for this person to be in Raleigh.
    I would have preferred 1 SE in each city, responsible for that market's content, working together on bigger projects. I still think it will become that.
    I sincerely wish them well. The good news is there are absolute pros on both staffs, rabid fan bases in both markets.

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I say this gently, and as a fan of Knight Ridder in the old days, but it seems like someone -- the sports editor at the time? -- needed to say, "What the heck is a cue ring? And how would that be used to signal an outrider?" There must have been a number of people at the time who were familiar with horse racing.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Oh, the questions were asked. I walked in on that Thursday afternoon and the talk was already happening. I didn't see it. But IIRC, we went with the story because an inquiry had been opened by the stewards.

4. Fran Curci

The stewards' inquiry is a good hook, agreed.

5. Fran Curci

All the talk about the Carolina papers prompted me to check the content on the Observer site. I know this isn't a news flash, but wow -- those McClatchy sites are brutal to navigate. Pop-up Central.

6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Charlotte's also losing Gary Schwab, former executive sports editor who was their metro/enterprise editor, and his wife Helen, the paper's restaurant critic ...

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

So much for someone who could have moved into the SE spot. Gary is really good people. All the best to both.

8. Sam Mills 51

Classy move by Davidson coach Bob McKillop to present Harry Pickett, former deputy sports editor of The Charlotte Observer, with a game ball following the Wildcats' win over Fordham.

Class, meet class.

BTExpress and HanSenSE like this.
  9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

McClatchy just released FY2018 results.

Advertising revenues were down 15.3%. Audience revenues were only down 4.8% even though daily circulation dropped 11.1% and Sunday circulation 9.8%. One word can describe McClatchy's year. Disaster.

McClatchy has to cut costs at their papers by 10% this year. The company is basically breaking even on a cash flow basis. Given their debt McClatchy can not start to burn cash.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  10. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

11. Sam Mills 51

Wha ... ?

You mean executives continue to collect fat paychecks and bonuses while their companies continue to slash employees by the bunch?

And spokespeople try to defend this crap?

Knock me over with a feather, especially at McClatchy.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

How would this company be in any position to try to buy Tribune?

Draft saved Draft deleted