1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Some folks may be coming up on a year or so into the gig at the Athletic, too. If there are yearly contracts, some of them might not be renewed and lead to departures until a replacement is hired.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I like the Athletic also. For five bucks a month I will continue to buy it. But the Denver Post is better locally. I think Kosmider does a better job than the Post's guy on the Nuggets. I think the lead Broncos writers for each outlet are both good. But the Post still has a staff of eight or so plus sister papers that provide coverage of CU and CSU. I think the Athletic has four staffers writing in Denver. The Post, as a result, provides more comprehensive local coverage.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The Athletic offering a Presidents Day sale, comes out to $28.99/year. I bought a subscription a year and a half or so ago when they offered a special Corey Kluber sale -- $28 for a year b/c that's his number. This is the cheapest I've seen since then. I'll be signing back up:

The Athletic

4. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If you are working at a daily without a contract - getting a one-year guaranteed contract to do anything is something you should do.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Another SCNG reporter joins the Athletic

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Good for Rich. Enjoyed working with him during my time at the OCR.

8. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Would The Athletic ever consider starting a Dakotas website. NDSU football has a massive following (70,000 twitter follows) and Fighting Sioux hockey is obviously religion up there.

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

It's great that The Athletic keeps hiring people -- it looks like another mini-wave the last few days. It's hard to believe, really.

10. looks like they're continuing to trim non-FT writers and contributors all over the place

sporty likes this.
  11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I would think that the Athletic would want to demonstrate it makes money in someplace like Minneapolis before they try smaller markets. While cost of beat reporters in North Dakota would only be marginally lower the revenue opportunities are obviously more limited.

The Athletic needs to prove it can make money in larger markets first.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    HanSenSE likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You would need what? a minimum of 3,000 subscribers in a particular market to justify the expense? Larger markets probably require only 2,000 subscribers per employee?

Draft saved Draft deleted