1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last Chance U coach: "I'm your new Hitler"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

About a hundred years ago, I worked for the Coffeyville newspaper that was then owned by Gannett. Coffeyville Community College’s football team was junior college national champs and pretty much a farm club for Nebraska. Independence Community College’s football program was light years behind. Montgomery County was one of the least wealthy in Kansas, yet had two jucos, not very far apart.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'll go with Hondo on this one. Neither is much of a human being or a coach I would want my son, if I had one, playing for. I do think Stevens is the slightly less despicable of the two. The only thing Brown has on him is he comes off as less of a hypocrite. BYM2 does make some good points, ones we all touched on in the Last Chance U running thread

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

From the Montgomery County Chronicle's Facebook page:

"UPDATE TO THE SITUATION AT INDEPENDENCE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (6:30 p.m., Friday)

"Independence Community College faculty and staff were invited to a 3 p.m., closed-door forum on Friday with ICC president Dr. Dan Barwick to discuss the situation involving head football coach Jason Brown (see previous posts).

"After the meeting Barwick described the tone of the meeting as a time for the employees to air their concerns about the pain being felt on campus since the story about Brown's cellular text messages to a German athlete became public late Wednesday night. In one message, Brown told the German athlete 'I am your new Hitler.'

"Barwick told the Chronicle, 'There is not one person on this campus who shares the values that appeared in those text messages. The staff and faculty discussed the pain they have felt about those messages and the pain they are now feeling as a campus as a result of the news being read and seen nationwide.'

"The staff-faculty meeting was held one day after the ICC trustees met in a three-hour closed-door meeting on Thursday to discuss the Brown situation. No action was taken following that three-hour meeting.

"Barwick refused to divulge details of the discussion from Thursday's three-hour meeting.

"Barwick did say he was hopeful that a resolution to the controversy would be reached within the coming days. However, he would not elaborate on what the resolution would involve."

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

He's gone.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Had to giggle at the grenade lobbed at the newspaper. What a dickbag.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That newspaper might cost that school lots of scholarships.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Is Independence scheduled to be on Last Chance U. a second season?

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Independence to Brown, “TAKE YA ASS HOME!”

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Yes it is.

10. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

"Please respect my decision" to quit before I get fired.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

And now Independence's football program can drift back down to irrelevance, which is its proper place, and the school itself can go back to fighting off the locals' desire to get rid of it and merge it with Coffeyville.

It was pretty clear the house of cards was going to collapse when Fort Scott went into Independence with the nation's worst defense and shut out Indy on its home field. That game was also Malik Henry's return as Indy's starting quarterback (and, if I'm not mistaken, his only appearance of the season). They ended up using four QBs in the game and the fourth one may have played the best of them.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't think either guy can coach worth a shit. Brown's practices were run like high school practices.
    There are moments in the first two seasons where Stephens appears to lack basic football knowledge.
    Marcus Wood should rightly be head coach at EMCC and I am not sure why he isn't.

I have dealt with jokers like Brown and Stephens are there are reasons they are where they are.
    There aren't reasons why they last more than two or three seasons at a post.

Draft saved Draft deleted