1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that irk you......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Maybe they looked at the minivan and understand physics.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

People who don't know how to correctly hold a fork when they cut their food.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Reading the latest Alex Cross book by James Patterson. Reputable author, has sold millions of books, should have a decent set of editors.

In this book, Cross' oldest kid now plays basketball for Davidson, after transferring from Johns Hopkins. Davidson is described as an ACC school, Johns Hopkins a DII team. They're playing Georgetown, also described as an ACC team, and he writes about action in the fourth quarter.

I mean, come on. How do mistakes like this - so easy to research - even happen? It really bugs me when authors write about sports but they clearly have no idea what they are writing about.

garrow and Vombatus like this.
  4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Patterson irks me. A lazy writer who bangs out his books, and farms many out to "co-authors," purely for money.

I liked "Kiss the Girl" a little back in the day, but that was it. YMMV, but to me he's the worst hack author around.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Loud sneezers. Especially if you emit a high-pitched noise. Not everyone in the coffee shop needs to know you're sneezing.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Thanks to Bloomberg, Hopkins is bigger than USSteel.

I happen to be wearing a Hopkins bball penney as I sit here reading this thread. D3 for everything except lacrosse, which is D1 and in the B1G.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Ladies and gentlemen, give it up for Hyman Roth!

Vombatus likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I remember my ex-wife in the beginning of our relationship exhorting me to read James Patterson. I should have known right then that she was no good for me, but I'm often blind and stupid. His books are utter garbage.

Slacker likes this.
  9. swingline

Speaking of horrible writers or books, Robert Ludlum's "The Bourne Identity" was painfully bad, pages and pages of continuous dialogue from characters I cared nothing about. It's a medium miracle that such a fun series of action movies came out of that book.

But the absolute worst writer I've tried to read was Tom Clancy. I got 50 pages into one of his books before the glaring grammatical and usage errors drove me away. It's as if he had no editing at all, as if they were printing books straight out of his computer screen/typewriter page. Good movies, though.

10. CD Boogie

It irks me that today is Thursday and not Friday. WTF!

11. swingline

You're screwed. I hear there's a Thursday next week, too.

12. CD Boogie

Not helping!

Draft saved Draft deleted