1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mississippi State Beat Reporter - Columbus, Miss.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

2. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Exploitation of a child. Yikes is right. Sexual assault of a male under the age of 18, reported by the boy's parents on Nov. 12.

3. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Jesus. I worked with Walters eight years ago at the Dispatch. Seemed fine but hot damn.

Not just about hiring a sports editor. They gotta bring in completely new sports department. They literally just promoted Walters, who was primarily the HS beat guy, to SE a few days earlier. They haven't had an MSU person in a while. Minichino left last week or the week prior and Walters got a bump right after.

The Dispatch has operated with a 3-man sports department since I worked there in 2011 and doesn't have anyone in the department right now. No MSU beat reporter, no sports editor, and no HS person. Wow.

RonClements likes this.
  4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This paper's had an interesting run. They also fired their MSU beat writer a few years ago after he went on a radio show/podcast and trashed the entire city of Lafayette, Louisiana, after a baseball regional.

5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I'm thinking a department reboot with new faces from different places would be a good thing.

6. tonygunk

tonygunk Member

MSU beat guy: *gets fired for dubious reason*

Everyone else: hold my beer

7. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Their managing editor from a few years ago was let go/resigned after she had a panic attack on deadline and needed to be admitted into a hospital.

I don't say that as a "haha, look at her" thing -- that's scary shit, and probably too common in small newsrooms -- but it goes with the trend of this newspaper having staff turnover with a lot of unorthodox backstories.

8. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

I just received an email from them saying that they've filled this position.

RonClements likes this.
  9. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Any word on whom filled it?

10. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Who vs. Whom

Dog8Cats likes this.
  11. Adam94

Adam94 Member

Yes:

I've gotten to talk to Ben a few times and he's a really nice guy. A recent college grad. Wish him well in Mississippi. And I agree with the above poster who said a reboot with fresh faces ought to help that department.

RonClements likes this.
  12. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

You knew what I meant. No time for sarcastic remarks here. Oh wait ... never mind. I forgot what board I was on

AndrettiSJ likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted