1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AAF Football Coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

I see the San Antonio paper is giving decent coverage to its Alliance football team, the Commanders. And the team is drawing decent attendance as well. Anyone have insights into how papers are covering their Alliance teams?

2. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I know the Orlando Sentinel covered their home game pretty well and it looks like they found a stringer for the road game. Having a coach like Spurrier definitely helps with the coverage and interest on a local level.

3. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I haven't seen, what has the AP been doing for coverage?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

San Diego and Memphis aren't drawing. Why not play games in smaller stadiums? I checked some of the ticket prices and they're crazy. You'd be better off going $20 for lower bowl and $10 everywhere else and have a family deal for $30.

5. JR119

JR119 Member

AP is not covering -- at least it didn't cover the first 2 weeks.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Birmingham had flies for its second game on Saturday.

That being said. I love the AAF. Gambling paradise. Under hits 75 percent of the time.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

How can the league miss payroll? The players earn $250,000 total under their 3-year contracts! I have to fault ESPN for giving minimal coverage to the AAF when it carries a story about a WWE wrestler being selected for its HOF.

9. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Why does ESPN need to cover a second-rate football league that is drawing flies by week 2 in some cities?

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How do you spend that much time prepping a league, have the names involved that you do and not even be prepped to make payroll in week 2? I figure if you start a league you don't push the "GO" button unless you are prepared to not sell a single ticket the first year - and use all that money to roll back into the league. Is it all just a venture, banking on the NFL buying in?

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

AAF gambling winnings spend just the same as NFL gambling winnings.

exmediahack likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted