1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vince McMahon to Target Alienated NFL Fans with 'New XFL'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deepest_background, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think it will happen BECAUSE of NFL influence: the next CBA will allow some kind of option for players who are not interested (or academically qualified) in college football -- playing a couple years of AAF at $75K would be that option.

Not that the NFL owners or the NFLPA will be overly concerned with the NCAA, but the NCAA will probably also be happy to allow an outlet for players who have no interest, intention or ability to meet NCAA academic standards -- it'll get them out of their hair.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do think it is notable that the AAF isn't being treated as a joke by most of the sports media. Obviously the credibility of some of the people involved has a lot to do with it.
    It would be interesting to have a third person in the booth (or elsewhere) who could comment on why certain players aren't in the NFL, - too slow, bad hands, or what they need to prove in order to get back to the NFL.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I just can't muster the energy to give a shit about either of these leagues. Let football sleep every once in a while. I don't need second-rate football in February and March.

TigerVols and poindexter like this.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No one's gonna care in a month.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My caveat is that I do appreciate that guys are getting opportunities to further their careers.

6. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

And it is creating media jobs...the PR effort has been solid.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

First major screwup for the AAF: both teams show up in dark uniforms, leaving TV viewers clueless:

Edit: They're going to continue to have these problems, since they have teams with jerseys colored: purple, black, dark gray and navy blue.

As well as two others colored white and light gray/ silver.

Just gonna have to buckle down and order up each team a set of "light" and "dark" jerseys.

You'd think the teevee people would order them to do it, in fact.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Curious to see Week 2 AAF ratings.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's killing me seeing all the posts predicting what the AAF will do "in a few years."

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A friend posted on FB today an idea that would be fun ... AAF champs face the XFL champs each season. Winner plays the worst team in the NFL, winner plays in the NFL the following season, loser stays or goes down. Relegation, baby!

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

NFL and NFLPA are pretty much headed toward a lockout after the 2020 season. So I could absolutely see the AAF and XFL directly or indirectly providing the NFL side with leverage by having 16 teams worth of players that are coming off of a spring season and in shape to serve as replacement players.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Best I can tell the league is not mandating that one team wear white. The teams are wearing just the one uniform color at home and on the road. Yes, it will make telling them apart more difficult.

Draft saved Draft deleted