1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brexit or how I'll make a killing in forex

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JohnHammond, Jun 23, 2016.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They needed to just do it. Like pulling a band aid off. But once it got in the hands of populist MPs of all different stripes, they were making a lot of disparate promises to their constituents. They needed someone to take control and make it into a straight up binary choice. Instead they allowed all these different options to sit on the table and that is a formula for no consensus.

I am usually disdainful of the career European busybody politicians. But they have handled this exactly as they should have for maximum leverage. They have mostly stayed silent and just let the British screw it up. They come out looking clean and Britain ends up where it is right now. I don't know if the vote of confidence will lead to a general election. As of right now, it looks like the Tories aren't bailing on her. But she has been in an absolutely unwinnable position. I personally admire her, actually, and thing she has stood pretty tall and stayed somewhat principled (for a politician), despite the beating she is taking. But right now, principle isn't enough. They need a Churchill or a Thatcher. Someone who through the force of will can herd the cats, bust some skulls if necessary, and just get it done.

5. britwrit

That's what Theresa May - in theory - tried to do with the vote yesterday. Turn it into a binary choice. Her deal or no-deal. It didn't work too well.

Right now, the UK is on a path for this to get kicked down the road for a few to many months. Then we'll likely wind up with a deal that will leave the country a whole lot closer to the EU than hard-core Brexit folk want. Everyone in Parliament knows this. The strategy by May - as well as Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn - is to avoid getting blamed.

(We might get another referendum too but I don't think Parliament is ready - just yet - to pull the trigger on that.)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Is that SFW? If she looks like Boris, I’d ask her to keep her clothes on.

9. britwrit

Parliament voted tonight to.... God, this is so tiresome.... give itself the option to ask the EU for an extension on leaving if Theresa May's plan once again gets voted down next month.

Reportedly, plans for the official kicking of the can down the road are well underway. The Queen, the House of Lords, and marching bands from around the world are all going to be invited. Like a Royal Wedding, only better!

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Given the entire history of British politics dating back to the Glorious Revolution if not longer, kicking the can down the road was always the percentage bet for what would come as the deadline approached.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

But will the Hendersons all be there? Will Henry The Horse be dancing the waltz?

Draft saved Draft deleted