1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies that left a lasting impression on you

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Feb 15, 2019.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

What film evokes a range of emotions, that it leaves a lasting impression on you?

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Lost In Translation ... was going through a time where I was doing a ton of solo travel, and those characters just spoke to me. Rewatched it recently and it holds up remarkably well.

Double Down, SFIND and John B. Foster like this.
  3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Apocalypse Now

I can’t look at ceiling fans anymore without having flashbacks of gnarly refrigerator repairs.

[​IMG]

John B. Foster likes this.
  4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Memento

Like many Nolan movies, it doesn't really connect with me on an emotional level (nor do I think that's his intent) but the concept and ambition are impressive. Seeing them successfully executed really sealed the deal.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

No Country For Old Men.

"That fucking bone."

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

In Time.

The movie itself was not the best, but the concept that everything we do costs us time was a bit of a mind fuck. I still think about that when I'm sitting around doing nothing.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The first 15 seconds are absolutely gripping.

(JK, I like it fine as a movie too.)

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Blue Velvet.

"Heineken? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!"

When my bestie and I saw that at an indy movie house on the cool street in Nashville (Elliston Place, for those who know...), we walked out of it thinking we were the hippest mo'fos you'd ever meet.

garrow likes this.
  9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Yes.

10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Ingmar Bergman's Winter Light (see signature for my favorite quote).

Calvary.

Lost in Translation.

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Oddly, my tween daughter was asking me a variation of this question while prepping dinner. It was “the first movie i saw that I was probably way to young to see and its affect on me.” My answer was Bonnie & Clyde. I was probably about six when I stumbled upon this. I vividly remember three scenes: Hackman using a bed as a shield and getting shot through it; his wife in a psych ward with her eyes wrapped in bandages; Warren Beatty getting shot in the face through a windshield and then looking directly at the camera as he screams at Faye dunaway.

Now, in her defense, she learned to walk while her mother and I watched “a history of violence” so she has me there on parenting

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The Terminal.

Draft saved Draft deleted