1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB.com Layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Writer, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Writer

Writer Member

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Why would they have layoffs with baseball teams worth billions and baseball worth billions? I feel for everybody and wish you all the best, but ? What is going on here?

RonClements likes this.
  3. Writer

Writer Member

I thought that was confusing too, especially with baseball starting.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the verdict has been read about how high digital advertising can go - and it has peaked no matter what the site.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It will be far easier and far far far cheaper for MLB to turn the site into a content aggregator of the material produced daily by 30 different media relations staff than to pay more than a few writers and editors to generate original content.

TigerVols and maumann like this.
  6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

It'll be a bloodbath when the current CBA expires. No need for content when there's a year-long strike or lockout.

7. Writer

Writer Member

I don't see this every being the case. Media relations guys are already overwhelmed. They don't have time to produce quality content for the web. I kind of view the MLB.com writers as PR people anyways, even though I know that's not their titles.

8. Michael_ Gee

I'm sorry for not making my position clearer. MLB.com will, IMO, start collating and reproducing the material individual media staffs already produce.

9. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

For straight baseball analysis/information I find the stuff written by MLB.com team writers to be well done.

bpoindexter likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Could teams require media outlets to make their content available to MLB.com as a condition of getting a press pass?

11. Michael_ Gee

I don't see how. That's pretty close to extortion.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Why would they need to trade press passes for content? There are lots of aggregators out there already who I thought did not pay. How do they survive?

Draft saved Draft deleted