1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bob Costas at NBC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Jan 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yep. ESPN does it daily with the NBA.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Well, ESPN does give Jay Bilas 69 seconds a year to self religiously portend the end of apple pie and homecoming dances, before Jay slurpes himself some Coach K for Nobel Prize platitudes.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It really can't be emphasized enough how much Fox winning the NFC rights back in the '90s changed the game. First CBS, then NBC learned what it was like to not have the NFL. The loss of football meant the loss of promotional opportunities for network shows, loss of viewers and loss of prestige. What is interesting is that CBS losing the NFL rights led to them going all-in on the SEC.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

There was so much to Fox getting the NFC. The money, the programming, local affiliates changing. It might be the biggest thing in broadcast television in the last 50 years.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Hmm, this is all very interesting.

Yet from what I read on this board, NBC should risk losing the NFL package to allow botoxed piss-boy Bob Costas to shit all over the NFL product.

The more you know....

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You are right. It is amazing how often ESPN's lead daily topic is some bit of meaningless drama from a league composed almost exclusively of people addicted to drama. But to expect otherwise is silly. The word "rightsholder" means business partner. any journalism from ESPN or a network sports division, and they all do it, some of it excellent by any measure, is almost accidental. Their business is broadcasting sports events. Smith would denounce Wesson before networks would seriously investigate their partners.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Look at the logo on the shirt. Yeah, I'm shocked a guy who does a show that is on the flagship station of the Redskins (and used to do the Redskins postgame show) is anti-Costas and pro-football. Funny how he doesn't disclose this.

He should stick to golf and asking truck drivers what they're hauling.

[​IMG]

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Hmm. Disclose?

He’s well known here in the DC area, and in WI for his GB coverage on a channel up there (recently stopped doing that).

I don’t think he needs to disclose it verbally on each podcast, he probably can’t put Redskins logos on his personal website, but there’s probably some bio info on his website with some specifics.

I’ll look around - think it was maybe more on me to describe who he is when I linked it though.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Station website has the Redskins logo with him on there.

Steve Czaban Show - The Team 980 - Redskins Radio

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

NBC’s Last Call With Carson Daly Ending After 17 Years

Daly is worth $25mil - amazing. Nobody has ever accused him of being the reason they watch any particular thing he's been involved with.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Would have guessed given his facetime gigs that he’d be worth double that at least. Nothing to sneeze at, but he’s been in front of a camera every day for more than 20 years. He never really advanced beyond TRL in terms of his cultural cache. Can’t remember a single memorable thing he said or that was done on a Carson Daly program.

Draft saved Draft deleted