1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 2, 2018.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Thankfully, Carlyle is gone. Never wanted him in the first place. He has completely lost his last three teams -- Ducks, Leafs, Ducks.
    Eakins signed a three-year extension last season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but minor league coaches usually don't sign three-year contracts. So he must have been the backup option all along for Carlyle's inevitable failure. He played the good soldier, always saying the right things, i.e. he loved living in San Diego and didn't aspire to move up.
    As for Murray being the interim coach, it achieves ownerships goal of not paying two for the same job. Usually the assistants do most of the work, but I don't think the assistants are any great shakes, either. They have changed them every year recently. The main guys now are Marty Wilford, Mark Morrison and Rich Preston.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Fuck it. Get Jim Playfair in there.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

If I can threadjack this Ducks thread for a moment ...

Malkin is going to get a call from the league office for swinging his stick a a dude's head tonight. He's damn lucky he missed but he got tossed anyway and the Pens had to kill a major at the end of the Flyers game.

That game also featured a quick whistle that cost Philly a goal in the second period.

4. Regan MacNeil

Just saw the Sharks score maybe the softest goal I've ever seen. Is DiPietro really that bad?

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He’s a junior emergency callup. He was Team Canada’s starting goalie at the world juniors. He’s not ready for the NHL.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Caps can't continue to play this sloppy defensively if they want any chance of getting out of the first round, much less repeating. Kempny has sort of crashed back to earth of late and looks more like the guy the Blackhawks had no issue giving up for a middling draft pick.

Vombatus likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Also, semi-Cap related ... Joel Ward retired yesterday. One of the best dudes out there. Scored the game winner on the road in Game 7 in '12 to knock Boston out of the playoffs. Endured a bunch of stupid racist taunts afterward. Was really one of my favorite players of this current era. Cheers to Joel.

Dog8Cats and Vombatus like this.
  8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Warning: Team in Raleigh might finally (!) contain hockey-like substance ...

9. Regan MacNeil

Don Cherry is trending on my Twitter feed, so I went and looked why.

Jesus H. Christ, Grapes.

Huggy and JC like this.
  10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

11. Regan MacNeil

Wheel, snipe, celly, boys.

RickStain likes this.
  12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

What is Grapes' problem?

Now I might have to get a "Bunch of Jerks" T-shirt or two to put under the Ronnie sweater. Because Francis was, indeed, a jerk ... eh?

As little as you say about a team in a non-traditional market, NOW you chime in? Um ... yeah ...

Draft saved Draft deleted