1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dwindling attendance at high school playoff events

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

This might seem odd, but the physical newspaper you picked up to see national sports was also telling you about the local kids and if podunk high was any good this year.

The newspaper was a great way to promote high school sports and now if you don’t have a kid in high school, you really don’t know who is good and who is shitty, do you don’t go to games.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Nothing new. In the early 80s my friend graduated private (not prep) school early, then transferred to the public HS in town, to get a better position in the MLB draft. He bumped a senior catcher named Chris Christie to the bench.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I don’t know how California could have anything resembling a state championship. The state is so goddamn big. Also: is it really worth it if you have to fly to a state final?

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Texas is bigger in area and it manages just fine.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I figured California has more schools.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's the "schools of choice" mindset run amuck.

If it's acceptable or even admirable for little Billy or Barbie to switch schools for an English or STEM or performing arts curriculum, why is it nasty and awful and horrible to do it for football or basketball?

Of course the problem now is a substantial part of the populace don't wanna pay no taxes for nothin', particularly public schools.

So sports and performing arts, of course, are the first things that get cut, but quickly enough they get to STEM and English, and cut that too.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    wicked likes this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

In Texas, 1,339 high schools are members of the UIL as of the 2018 realignment according to its website. The CIF has 1,514 schools listed under each of the 10 sections according to Wikipedia. (Texas has a ton of very tiny rural schools, which might inflate the number, and also excludes private schools, which compete in separate organizations.)

Texas holds six state championships for boys and girls in basketball (1A through 6A), while California holds seven (Divisions 1 through VI plus an Open division). Of course, Texas waters it down in football, splitting each class in half and holding 12 state title games.

California's system, though, appears to be more subjective, because every section is different. I imagine it's a lot like the NCAA selection committee. In Texas you go into the playoffs based on the seed you earn in your district and play a straight bracket, against neighboring districts first, and then the deeper you go, the more the travel.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My brother is an AD at one of the schools that made a state "final" this year. They/the district lost a boatload of money because the CIF only reimburses so much. They bused up to Santa Clara, took just about every kid down to freshmen in the program, two nights of hotels and food. I'm trying to remember the total cost but it wasn't even close to being covered by CIF.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Always figured high schools should dump classification by enrollment since participation levels by sport don't always line-up and just format conferences by geography and then have three conferences with relegation and promotion.
    The crummy schools can still play for a championship and then move up to better competition if they win, drop down to a lower level if they stink. Rivalries will develop - figure if two local schools in different divisions want to play they can schedule a non-conference game and teams aren't travelling 100 miles or more to road games.

Draft saved Draft deleted