1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore Please. 2019 Golf Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When I did the 2000 Open at Pebble, walking the course was like being in a dream. No place could look like this and be real, I thought. But it was.
    PS: USGA has not yet begun to fight as far as the course is concerned. What Mickelson is winning on now is nothing like what the course will be in June. Won't be as wet, but the rough will be way, way longer. So will the "first cut" that's just growing in right now.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One of those places you "know" because you've seen it on TV so much, Times Square, the Golden Gate Bridge, Yankee Stadium, Fenway, Wrigley, Old Faithful, Waikiki Beach...

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I loved cliches.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

True, but being there is such an experience. I covered the Champions Tour event in the fall a couple of years ago and, although I'd watched many a Clambake on the tube, was just in awe being there my first time.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, Mickeltits threw a tantrum in 2014 at Valhalla with Rory leading him by one because he felt it was too dark to be playing.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Would have been in Phil's best interests for Rory to have to sleep on the lead one more night and then maybe mess up the last hole on Monday morning. Just like Phil would have rather finished last night then have to sleep on his lead, wake up on the wrong side of the bed today and maybe blow it. Odds are he won't, but if he does you know he'll be grumbling about having to quit yesterday.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

IIRC, it was the fact that they allowed McIlroy and Wiesberger to play up with him and Fowler on 18 is what got Phil so riled up.

9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

It's a fucking MESSAGE BOARD!!!

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was watching the end via livestream and it cut out right when Peter Kostis was about to interview the pro-am winner, an executive with FedEx. Someone's getting whacked for that!

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Watching for a bit yesterday (NOT SATURDAY, BY GOD.) and the fairways were so wet, you could see the players/caddies feet sinking all the way past the sole.
    Those greens were toast after yesterday.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

What I can't figure out is Phil having a hissy about not being able to tee off No. 17 before the horn. There was no way he was finishing 18 before total darkness, so why the eye-rolling and snooty looks?

Draft saved Draft deleted