1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I am finding the various potshots being leveled at the Dem field as they announce fascinating. Don't kid yourself, this is the "silent primary" when campaigns are working hard to shape public perceptions of the various candidates. Also worth noting - the candidates on the sidelines are working hard to blunt the takeoffs of the early announcers, hoping voters will turn their eyes to them. It is a lot easier to damage another person's campaign if you aren't technically in the race, than if you are in the race and already taking on water.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Aside from Harris, it's not currently a strong group. The two words for me that come to mind with Harris are: Smart and tough. Good combo. She's going to make it hard for anyone young. O'Rourke, even.

Biden would make it interesting. I don't think Sanders will be a factor.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My whole life I've wanted a Delawarean to be President. Joe's as close as I'm gonna get, and he's not gonna get there.

4. DanOregon

Oh Sanders'll be a factor - he's got 10 percent of the voters in Iowa right now (how that translates in the caucus will be interesting) and he's already won New Hampshire. He might lose some of his folks to Warren, but I think he is a lock to be at least among the final four candidates standing. His followers are very passionate about his candidacy. And nobody is going to get any votes to "the left" of him. It will be a question of how many voters he can pick off who are closer to the center.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Because he got fucked and let himself be fucked four years ago.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He might. He's strong on foreign policy. And the man could write a heroic poem about infrastructure and roads. That's still a vote-getter. And he'd have Obama. The prez can't put the Medal of Freedom around Biden's neck, make him VP for 8 years and then say "nah, won't support ya."

But you could be right. Biden won't trend well on Twitter and the Democratic party is increasingly run by the ultra-progressive zealots on there.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Taken on her own merits, Harris doesn't look "young," but everyone on the Dem side (except for Bernie) looks young in comparison to the bloated wheezing old pig in the WH. Kamala looks like a teenybopper with Fatfuck in the discussion.

And if somehow it flips over to Mikhail Penczov, well, he looks like somebody's grandpa too. He's 3-4 months younger than me, and looks a decade older.

8. DanOregon

Biden didn't run last time because his kid was dying and then died. I see a campaign where he starts strong, and then says or does something that is quite poorly received.

9. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

I am going to take Cory Booker at 16/1.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

We'll see. The thing ultra-progressives love about Sanders is he doesn't give a shit what they wanna do; get him in the White House and he's happy to hand them the entire presidency aside from financial reforms that he personally cares about.

So a person like AOC - or, more likely, her acolytes - may prefer Sanders because, with someone like Harris, Harris is running the show. And get the impression the "choo choo, motherfucker" types on the left want to call the shots.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't think it's that. I just think he's too old. I'm gonna be 70 in June and I think he's too old. Twitter ain't real life. It gets play because it's where journalists talk to each other.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. DanOregon

It's funny, I never read about Biden tweets and checking his feed, it seems like most of them are ghostwritten. The word malarky never makes an appearance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.