1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2019 Nascar thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Why is Cessna popping up as a regular sponsor? How many NASCAR fans to they think are buying airplanes?

2. Driftwood

Going back to the earliest days, the only sponsors that made sense to me were ones where the average fan had a choice to make.
    Do I buy Miller Lite or Budweiser?
    Do I buy Skoal or Copenhagen?
    Do I buy Coke or Pepsi?
    DoI buy Winstons or Marlboros?
    Do I buy at Lowe's or Home Depot?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I went to school with a guy named Winston Miller Ford, we always said he had to be conceived during a Nascar race.

Michael_ Gee and HanSenSE like this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Driftwood likes this.
  5. Driftwood

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hell, that ain’t new.

[​IMG]

7. Driftwood

That has be to a Busch car Allison drove in the mid 80s. He may have had a one-off sponsorship when he was driving the 12 Miller car, and that's a mid 80s body style. I don't recall seeing that in a Cup race.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It was. He won the Daytona Busch race in that paint job. Piper Aircraft was a major sponsor for his personal efforts (cheaper to afford a plane if you can “pay” for some of the cost by putting the company on your hood and quarter panels).

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Always enjoy the Budweiser Crash - I mean Clash. NASCAR should really allow teams to carry three cars to Daytona since they give them so many opportunities to wreck.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not unlike all the PGA Tour golfers now that have "Wheels Up" or other flight-share services on their clothes.

Didn't watch the Clash but caught the crash highlight. Gonna take a long time to get used to the 48 not being the Lowe's car.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Jimmie Johnson plans to run the Boston Marathon. Finally wants to see what it's like to be a pedestrian?

Draft saved Draft deleted