1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adnan Virk fired by ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Feb 3, 2019.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I am a union guy. I think suspensions are a bad way to treat people and result in unhappy employees and unhappy workplaces. I kind of believe that an offence is either fireable or it isn't.

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

That's where I come in. The blatant, "Fuck you" way that Virk allegedly went about this made it impossible to keep him around.

And, frankly, tough for another high-profile employer to consider hiring him. To do this for Awful Announcing is a horrible look at a lack of judgment.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No you’re not a union guy if you believe this.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Okey dokey.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Richard Deitsch is going after ESPN for this one, taking a screenshot of a typical list of top stories for the WWL's website. A heavy amount of "Sources" in it.

So:

1) The WWL is doing this because they can.
    2) The WWL is a bully.
    3) Those pesky facts that Vick disclosed make the WWL look bad. And that's squarely on the WWL, not Virk.

Live by the source, die by the source, etc. ...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If he or any of The Athletic's writers were to disclose proprietary information about the company to the media and that turned into a story, would Deitsch think they too should not be shitcanned? He is truly clueless.

TigerVols likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If it was The Athletic's "secret sauce" absolutely they should be canned. If someone gives a heads up that the website is launching in Miami or whereever or shutting down Miami or whatever, I don't know. Letter of the law? Yes. The way journalism is practiced today? I don't know.

Should Jay Glazer be canned for trading information he gleans from sources with other sources?

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

At least Glazer is doing it to get information to share with readers/viewers on his outlets. Was Virk getting anything for ESPN's newsgathering division by sharing closed-door company information with a blog? Nope. And whether that information wasn't a big deal or would have came out publicly a week later or a day later is completely irrelevant.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Virk was in a danger spot with ESPN. He rose up and was making really good money but I never thought of him as a reason to watch or listen.

He was above-average on everything he did. Studio shows. Radio. Social media. But I never felt compelled to say “Adnan Virk is on. I’ll watch!” He was always just..there.

SVP I will wake up early for to watch on DVR. That’s a compliment. Negandhi is always energetic and excited and knowledgeable. Hannah Storm remains a smokeshow. I’ll make time to watch those three.

And that’s a difference.

Like Al Michaels calling a game or, now, Tony Romo — if they’re on, I will watch something maybe I was indifferent on. In other words, Ravens-Steelers.

Virk was selling state secrets for pennies on the dollar but I never saw him as a reason people watch.

PCLoadLetter and wicked like this.
  10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

This times a hundred.

Listened to Miller on Deitsch and he’s a lunatic about this. I didn’t realize that Virk was this unicorn sports figure.

When weighing a reported infraction like Virk’s vs. what he brings the company in revenue, that makes an easy call to fire him and not suspend him.

Simmons made ESPN money. SVP makes ESPN money.

Virk was well paid and they slice in someone making 200k and not miss a beat. That’s how Bristol defines a win.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I was beyond perplexed at how apocalyptic Miller was on that podcast.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I saw that he issued a statement. One of the lawyers that he says that he retained was co-counsel with me in a case a while back. He is literally one of the worst lawyers that I have worked with in my career. I hope the other guy is smarter.

Draft saved Draft deleted