1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adnan Virk fired by ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Feb 3, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

"It was a real coup" -- Ben Koo

/sorry

poindexter likes this.
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The fact that you have four sons makes it all the more imperative that you DON'T risk your seven figure salary on giving scooby snacks to a blog. AND ON YOUR WORK PHONE!!

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Get out.

CD Boogie likes this.
  4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Exactly. If I'm ESPN, I look at what he did, what he threw away and the family situation, and that makes it more of a fireable offense.

If he will risk pissing all of that away for no good reason, he's too stupid to trust with any kind of job of consequence there.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I'm guessing there won't be a fifth Virk kid because Mrs. Adnan can't be too happy with her husband.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I read AA. I go to it.
    But between the pop up videos and the weird fading border that shows on my tablet, it is the worst.

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Wouldn't a very serious suspension -- two months, for example -- sent the same strong message?

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

A suspended employee is a bitter-forever employee. If I were an employer, I would be firmly against suspensions. Either stay or go.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The problem is that a guy in a position like Virk doesn’t get annual bonuses or stock based on his performance, So it’s hard to discipline him in a way which will be meaningful unless you either suspend him or fire him.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Listened to the Deitsch podcast today. I've never heard Miller that fired up. It doesn't sound like we have the complete story on how much Virk dragged his feet on the investigation. And Miller and Deitsch made good points that other ESPN employees are talking on background still even after this.

I think a suspension would have been enough to get the attention of Virk as well everyone else who's talking on background.

Virk should be more ashamed he didn't have a second phone. That's basic stuff. Don't do stuff on a company phone or equipment.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

If I'm a manager and one of my well-paid anchors comes to me with a series of questions about a business deal and then the answers to those specific questions turn up immediately on Awful Announcing... that's not a suspension. That's "Get the fuck out of my building."

I mean, I'm real sad Miller lost a source and all, but Jesus Christ, he needs to shut up. Virk earned this.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Always thought you’d be a union guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted