1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's not a shallow pool. Academy voters don't like Dick Cheney (or Donald Trump, for that matter.) It's a bad movie elevated to Oscar contender status by its politics.

Liut likes this.
  2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

So much style, and a great performance by Bale, to distract from so little substance.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

If that were true, wouldn't W. have received a bunch of nominations?

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That was 10 years ago. It was also, like Oliver Stone's movies tend to be, not quite hateful of the subject at hand.

America's changed. The movie industry has really changed. We're much further to the left at this point.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

They shall not grow old was well done. There was an immense amount of attention paid to every detail. It does a good job of taking you through the arc of emotions the soldiers felt from being excited to join to the point 15 year olds were lying about being 19 (and recruiters actively encouraging it) to the realization they were in a world of shit, goof through a charge between the trenches to it suddenly being over. They added sound to the videos and choice interviews.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Roma is the most boring movie I've watched all the way through in some time. While extremely well shot - I really thought Cuaron was missing a bigger and more interesting story with the protests. It really irritated me how much the story took the audience for granted. And it irritates me more than that , that it has received such acclaim - another example of making something in black and white automatically makes a movie look better and more important than it actually is (see also, The Artist, various Woody Allen movies, The Good German, and Nebraska). Cuaron is a great director (Children of Men is a must if you haven't seen it) but there is nothing here. It is a self-indulgent bore that really taxes the audience's goodwill.

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I think how you enjoy this picture has a lot to do with how old you are. I was born in 1970. I found the the maneuvering in the Nixon and Ford administrations to be fascinating. The rest of the it - the Iraq stuff especially - was a greatest hits montage of stuff I already knew.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I liked Bohemian Rhapsody even if it didn't contain anything about Flash Gordon or my favorite song of theirs "Dragon Attack."

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Marvel just met the princesses.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I take it you're referring to this:

lakefront likes this.
  11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

There is an old internet theory that Frozen\Brave\Little Mermaid all exist in the same time period but are in different kingdoms.

The internet will shit itself if the fall scene has something to do with Brave.

12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

The kid who would be king...really good movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted