1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Frank Robinson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Feb 7, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Was Robinson a big SF figure? I know he managed there but he didn’t have great success.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He was the first black manager in the NL and won 48 percent of his games. Won Manager of the Year.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Interesting: 16 years as manager for four organizations, no postseasons.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He was often hired as a name to attract fans to otherwise terrible teams, like his stint with the Orioles. Also, I remember his first gig with the Indians, where on Opening Day it sure looked like he would be the only power in his own lineup.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And, was basically a caretaker government when managing the Expos/Nationals under MLB's ownership.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Good point.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he's no Gene Mauch.

EDIT: Actually, Mauch did make the postseason a couple times with the Angels, but he was always known as the guy who managed the longest without making a World Series.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

As noted uptopic, grew up in Oakland. Ray Ratto is already pushing the A's to have a patch.

9. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

One story I've been trying to find is from, I think, Robinson's last year with the Nationals. He had to put in a catcher who never played that position in professional baseball (or something like that), and he naturally did terrible. After the game, Robinson was on the verge of tears because he knew the player did his best in a bad situation. Anyone remember this?

RIP to a baseball lifer.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Ah, my bad.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Matt LeCroy

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, like the Padres did the year Ted Williams died (blue font).

Draft saved Draft deleted