1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Frank Robinson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Feb 7, 2019.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Both. Likely more overlooked.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Teammate of Vada Pinson and Curt Flood at McClymonds High in Oakland. What a team that must have been. I think Joe Morgan also went to McClymonds.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One of those guys who seemed too tough to grow old, let alone die. played hoops with Bill Russell who went to McClymonds at the time as well, MC Hammer a few decades later.

Man, I would not want to drive the lane against Russell and Robinson.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Trading him for Milt Pappas is right up there with Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio in the WTF category.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

RIP to a legend.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

"Blow me" -- Cal Ripken Jr.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Ripken was in one World Series. Robbie was in four, I believe, and won two.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Oh, I know. And he definitely is more important than Ripken to the O's history. But don't tell that to Captain Egomaniac and his pointless streak.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Notable to me that he's still the only man to win MVP in both leagues despite free agency now being 45 years old.

10. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

I've always felt kind of bad for Milt Pappas. The trade was (obviously) very, very lopsided, but Pappas did win 209 career games. I think casual baseball fans think he was terrible or something.

Compared to 98 percent of MLB players, he had a damn good career. But not compared to Frank Robinson.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Also had a perfect game taken away from him when he was squeezed on three straight 1-2 pitches with two outs in the 9th. Still got the no-hitter. And was briefly suspected in the disappearance of his wife, who accidentally drove into a lake near their home and was MIA for five years before the car and her body were discovered. And, he gave up Roger Maris's 59th homer. Eventful life.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Shoot, between McGowan, Willie Mac and Robinson the Giants are going be covered in memorial patches this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted