1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Frank Robinson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Feb 7, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Orioles legend. Dammit. RIP, Frank.

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Somehow a guy who hit almost 600 home runs, won the triple crown, and broke the color barrier for managing in baseball, always felt underrated.

RIP to a legend.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Overlooked or underrated?.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Legend. These two anecdotes stuck out

While Robinson was regularly leading the league in various offensive categories, he was also becoming a frequent target for pitchers attempting to drive him off the plate. He led the league in getting hit by pitches seven times in his career, mostly because he refused to give in to them. A most notable example of that was June 9, 1960 when Hall-of-Famer Don Drysdale, the Dodgers’ notorious head hunter, threw a succession of brushback pitches under the chin at Robinson before finally plunking him on the left arm with a fastball that drew an immediate ejection and subsequent suspension. Unfazed, Robinson finished the game with two home runs, a bases-loaded double and seven RBI.​

In his first game as player manager, Opening Day, April 8, 1975, Robinson received a congratulatory letter from President Gerald Ford and, with Jackie Robinson’s widow, Rachel, among the 56,715 in attendance at Cleveland’s Municipal Stadium, he inserted himself in the lineup as the designated hitter and, in his first at-bat, hit a home run off the Yankees’ Doc Medich.
    I remember seeing him in Cooperstown and just kind of being gobsmacked. He just had an intimidating aura to him.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A little overlooked when he was a Red (although once an MVP) because of Mays, Aaron and Clemente. But of course then he went on to a Triple Crown, two Series titles and four pennants with the Orioles.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Overlooked. Often intentionally by the media because of his caustic personality, tinged with racism.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

I think him and Musial have always been overlooked when it comes to all-time greats.

cyclingwriter2 and heyabbott like this.
  9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Not to threadjack, but your mention of Mays gave me cause to go visit his B-R page. I think I've mentioned it here before (somewhere), but over a 13-year stretch from 1954-1966, Mays finished in the top 6 of MVP voting in 12 of those years, winning MVP twice and finishing second two other times. That is just a monster peak.

Oddly enough, Mays finished with 1903 RBIs, yet never led the league in that category. And Robinson, who finished with 1812 ribbies, only led the league once. Same with home runs -- odd considering he had 586 for his career, good for fourth all-time for many years.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

One of the greats of my youth. Rest.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Awww, man. RIP to one of the greats of my childhood.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Most important player in team history. The acquisition of Frank from the Reds put the team over the hump and led to a tremendous stretch.

Draft saved Draft deleted