1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Empire of the Sun. I think this is a great movie. It’s not easy but it’s great. Christian Bale is the star, 12 years old at the time of filming.

He’s one of the great actors of all time. He’s in Daniel Day Lewis category.

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just watched it. Bit of a snoozefest. Way to make a trip to the moon boring, guys. Hope Neil Armstrong smiled once in awhile in real life.

garrow likes this.
  3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

"Obit," a documentary on the NY Times obituary writers.

Thanks to this site, I discovered Kanopy, which has lots of documentaries and indie-type films. Great stuff.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Kanopy is terrific. I get ten movies a month with my library card.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ditto. Complete dud.

Any episode of "From The Earth To The Moon" beats the crap out of it.

6. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

TigerVols likes this.
  7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Galveston. Jesus Christ. Dark. But I enjoyed it -- upends some "guy saves girl" cliches, and the two leads give great performances.

Elle Fanning is the female lead -- I've seen her in two other movies recently, How to Talk to Girls at Parties (good) and The Disappearance of Sidney Hall (OK). I've liked her in all three and think she could be the next young actress to break out like a Jennifer Lawrence or Emma Stone.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sicario: Day of the Soldadao. If this movie IS what Trump is using to learn more about border security, God help us all. But it does add up - the slat wall, the rugs, the cars, the duct tape.
    Taylor Sheridan scripts typically don't have happy endings, they just kind of end. As it is, the movie is a low-grade Clear and Present Danger.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

They Shall Not Grow Old. Amazing. See it in a theater and see it in 3D.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

saw "Vice" last weekend. Bale was great, but the movie has serious flaws. I don't think they properly explained Cheney's motivations. They were way too glib in too many scenes. It's like the movie couldn't decide if it wanted to be drama or a comedy. And so the really serious shit that he was involved with comes across as relatively light fare. It must be a shallow pool if that's getting nominated for Best Picture. It's simply not a very good film. Sam Rockwell is like some SNL caricature of Bush, Tyler Perry is Colin Powell for some weird reason. It just had too many distractions.

Draft saved Draft deleted