1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Chris,

You’ll be happy to know Kesler said my report was “motivation” when I saw him on Monday

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You better work on your motivational skills, Elliotte, I’d hate to see what an unmotivated Kesler would look like.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You'd think $41M would be enough motivation.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Kesler’s toast. He’s too stubborn to LTIRetire but his hip will never be the same and it cascades into wearing down the rest of his legs too.

The bigger problem for the Ducks is that Getzlaf looks pretty bad. Even when “healthy” he looks slow, awkward and scared to skate at full speed. Having a true no. 1 C has helped them paper over roster problems in the past, but they can’t rely on that anymore.

The advanced stats were saying early in the season that they were the worst team in the league by a wide margin and were getting lucky plus Gibson was in god-mode. They’re a threat to win the tankathon when they weren’t even trying to tank, especially without Kase.

Ducks fans I talk to seem pretty confident that replacing Carlysle will solve most of it, and I can see their point because his system is completely useless in the new NHL. But I also wonder if a lot of their guys aren’t also five years too late to be relevant in the changing league.

The bright side is that they do have a lot of young talent on the roster and in the high minors, and unless the lottery bones them, there will be a very promising young C there for them with their first pick.

The brighter side is that I suspect attendance is gonna crater and the lines at the Honda Center are gonna get a lot easier to navigate

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Gibson was bound to come back to earth. His play had been Vezina worthy. Perry is another boat anchor contract.

6. RickStain

Honestly, I still think Gibson is the best in the league or very close to it.

Unless you’re watching the Ducks every night or looking at those weird heat charts, it’s hard to appreciate just how bad the Ducks play defensively and how many high-quality chances he has to face every game.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I dont want to say Kesler and his agent worked you, but it appears that way. But if they have to use a top-quality member of the media for motivation, then to hell with them.

Getzlaf has been the best non-goalie on the team. It looks like he is wearing down, too.

8. RickStain

That’s damnation with faint praise, but I would put Kase and Lindholm ahead of him

9. ChrisLong

Your opinion. I don’t share it. Getzlaf still makes the others better offensively. Any success of Rakell, Kase, Sprong, longgoneAberg, Silfverberg, etc. is a byproduct of Getzlaf’s play. However, his defense is lacking. I acknowledge that.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

You’d be wrong, but we are used to that :D

11. ChrisLong

You "might" be right. :rolleyes:

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Carlyle booted, GM takes over

Anaheim Ducks Fire Randy Carlyle

Murray, who has no coaching experience at any level but has been a three-time finalist for general manager of the year and won it in 2013-14, is expected to name a permanent coach in the offseason with San Diego Gulls head coach Dallas Eakins, and former Edmonton Oilers head coach, being the front-runner to take over, according to Klak. With the Gulls deep in a battle for a playoff run, Murray didn’t want to disrupt Eakins and his team. The 51-year-old coach has been the team’s AHL head coach since 2015.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted