1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2019 Nascar thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 11, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This could be such a cluster. They can find a lot of things in post-race inspection and the first time they find something "minor" but don't take the win, people will howl. Especially if it's Kyle Busch or whoever Chad Knaus is working with now.

And why have post-race inspections anyway? Can't they do the pre-race inspections early on race day as always, then impound the cars until the command?

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Something like your description is the reason I don't buy much of what NASCAR is trying to shovel to the public. Also ... was it someone who hadn't had a track record - no pun intended - of run-ins. Is is Knaus, who is making Gary Nelson look like a law-abiding lemming? A name driver, which NASCAR is loathe to mess with? Or a backmarker, which NASCAR will punish as quickly as the NCAA gets Cleveland State?

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

With NASCAR's "take the whole car apart" post-race inspections, both at the track and the R&D center, I fear the sanctioning body will "rubber stamp" a lot more violations than before. Big Bill's edict that the fans should know who the winner is before they drive home is still a guiding tenet.

Post-race inspection process explained | Official Site Of NASCAR

Other than going to crate engines/transmissions/suspensions, I don't know how you tear down and inspect 30-plus cars between final practice and the race.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Carl Long is picking up what you’re throwing down.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  6. maumann

That's almost like asking a dentist if they prefer Halloween or Easter. I think SAFER has lowered the amount of moderate to serious injuries for drivers across all series every single week. HANS has all but eliminated head and neck injuries in specific crashes.

Impact is the perfect word, too. Seems impossible that neither was mandatory the last time NASCAR lost someone in a major touring series, although a number of guys have had their bells rung permanently from hard hits since Dale died.

There's a good chance Adam Petty survives if there's a SAFER barrier. There's a good chance Clifford Allison survives if he's wearing a HANS device.

The next big step in safety has to be solving the catch fence issue: allowing the fans to view the action without creating a worse situation for the driver whose car snags the fencing. Dan Wheldon and Robert Wickens come quickly to mind, but NASCAR's had way too many close calls of their own to be overly smug.

wicked likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was kind of disappointed that the Gander RV Duel is just the renamed Twin 125s.

[​IMG]

wicked, Batman and maumann like this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They cut them back from 150s? Good.

9. maumann

Sorry. Still 150 miles of practice time if the weather holds. And NASCAR must have asked Marcus Lemonis if he had some loose change in his pockets.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I remember when NASCAR only had "cool" sponsors. STP, Kelloggs, Budweiser - now Gander RV. It's like the way the college bowl games start - with the weirder, more random sponsorships earlier. Except in NASCAR's case, I figure we'll see more drug company ads (FloMax) and hearing aid companies before too long.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Looks like Brian Vickers wife might be thinking it’s “hard out here for a pimp.”

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Gosh, I can’t for the life of me imagine who Jamie McMurray was talking about in this interview.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted