1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adnan Virk fired by ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Feb 3, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

And there’s why ya don’t miss meetings. Tsk, tsk, Adam...

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Just listened to Richard Deitsch's podcast. James Andrew Miller, normally placid, was irate and indignant about this issue, pointing out that ESPN Justice is often rather irregular and packed with double standards.
    I liked Virk's work and hope he's somehow brought back if he's as good a guy as everybody says. But I wondered as I was listening why Miller and Deitsch were both so convinced of an injustice here. How sure can they be that Virk had never done anything before to get on management's bad side?

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Deitsch has had Virk on his podcast two or three times, so take that for what it is.

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I’ve always had the impression most of ESPN’s on-air anchor-type talent leaked all of the time to blogs like this, and to Deitsch and Miller, so that’s why it seems strange to me for someone to get fired over it.

There’s obviously some interest in the inner workings of ESPN and the like, but rarely are any of those leaks actually important news. Seems like something that was always met with a blind eye, until it wasn’t, last week. That said, sounds like he was aggressively careless, leaking stuff that can be traced directly to him, using his work phone, etc.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

One of my buddies — a lawyer who handles HR for a Canadian company — thinks people with Miller’s viewpoint don’t have a clue how the real world works. He cannot understand why anyone would think it is acceptable or a good idea; that they have zero understanding of corporate culture.

He says any employee of any company he’s worked for caught leaking without permission would be fired for cause.

When we talked about this case, I told him (as I often do) that our world “is” different, that the same rules don’t apply. He responded with, “I will bet ESPN’s owernship agrees more with me than with you.”

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Again: There have been worse leaks. ESPN is sending a message.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I am an employment lawyer who, as part of my job, conducts investigations and provides advice to clients which have completed investigations. I've never performed any work for Disney and have no idea of the specific facts here other than what I've read/heard. A few things:

I thought that Miller sounded like a lunatic on Deitsch's podcast. Even understanding that the business is filled with leaks, when people leak proprietary information, especially where there is a coordinated media strategy and a pissed off customer, someone needs to be punished. Miller seemed to place a lot of stock that MLB didn't ask for Virk to be fired, but it is clear, reading between the lines, that they were upset. And leaking the reason behind a public figure's sudden termination is not the same as leaking non-public information regarding broadcasting strategy. It sucks that he didn't get to walk away quietly, but you can say that about a lot of people accused of wrongdoing.

The worst thing to do is lie/not cooperate with an investigation. You completely subvert the process when you do so and it is a huge breach of trust. I can't tell you how many times someone has been disciplined/fired when they have not been truthful during an investigation, even when they weren't the primary target. Also, and this is pure speculation, a nickel says that he tried to delete messages off of his phone.

Miller seemed to put way too much stock in the fact that Virk had pictures of his kids on his phone and couldn't be without it for a few hours/days. It's the company's property and never, ever do anything on a company owned device which may embarrass you. I send zero personal communications from my work e-mail address and, when I had a company phone, sent no personal e-mails/texts from that device. Communications on company e-mail accounts/on company devices are literally the first thing which I seek in every investigation.

Where Virk may have some recourse is the treatment of others similarly situated. I'm sure that his contract had a standard "cause" definition. And while every situation is different, if I'm his lawyer, I demand that information on every similar matter be produced. There probably is some embarrassing shit there. My guess is that this settles for a modest severance.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Deitsch has a vested interest in keeping anonymous sources at ESPN and anywhere else, so no surprise he's calling it an injustice.

As for pointing out irregular and double-standard justice at a major company? Welcome to working at a major company. But keep your nose clean and it doesn't matter.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Thanks for the thoughtful analysis of the situation, Webster.

When I worked at a state university, I made sure I never sent anything through company email that could be embarrassing or compromising if it came out during discovery. Just seemed like common sense. I never had a company-issued phone, for which I'm grateful.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Miller kept going back to the fact that Virk has four young sons — as if his firing would have been less egregious if he had three young sons, five grown kids, two teenaged daughters etc. Sorry. That’s irrelevant.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He could probably land a job at Awful Announcing.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I'm trying to think of what he might get millions of for working there. Not dollars, that's for sure.

I feel bad for Adnan. Everyone I know who knows him, likes him. But Jesus, man. Awful Announcing? Fucking hell.

Draft saved Draft deleted