1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big-time GateHouse sports layoffs in New England

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Feb 2, 2019.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I keep expecting small papers to scrap carrier delivery and just drop bundles off at your local post office, which in effect would turn them into afternoon papers.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Not just that, but Saturday news would also (likely) be hitting mailboxes on Tuesday, which in effect would turn them into semi-weekly papers.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think it is possible for the post office to make a delivery on the same day as receipt if you get it there early enough. It requires some coordination but I think there are some papers doing it, like bundling the papers by mail carrier route. But if memory serves when I lived in Northern Virginia in the 90's the local suburban paper (the Journal?) was being delivered by mail and I got same day service. And I think I have read about papers doing it on this board.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

When they acquired the Newport Daily News, that came with a weekly newspaper and a monthly magazine attached to that paper. It was sold within six months.

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Most small newspapers in my area have been doing that for years.

At my old shop (a Tu-Sa daily), the Saturday paper is carrier-delivered, but the rest of the deliveries are all handled by the USPS.

It used to be a PM paper, but after it switched to mail delivery, it now has an AM deadline cycle but comes in the mail at the same time as the old PM used to.

Draft saved Draft deleted