1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big-time GateHouse sports layoffs in New England

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Feb 2, 2019.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I heard they whacked about 80 percent of the staff, including a number of former colleagues who are good journalists. Godspeed to all who were affected.

2. Paul_Bowker

Paul_Bowker New Member

Yup. I can say there is no SE on Cape Cod now.

3. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Such a load of bullshit by Gatehouse. Company goes out and buys new properties and then not even a week or two later, it chops a bunch of personnel from already owned outlets.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

So who is left? Will coverage only be provided by interns? The post above refers to 80% layoffs. Is Gatehouse giving up the ghost entirely on local coverage?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  5. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

This sucks. How many colleagues are we talking about?

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Never good to see these threads. Hearing rumblings GateHouse might be angling to get the Globe and that John Henry is ready to sell.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Please, God, make these rumors false. I don't know why but I get e-mail alerts (I must have signed up for something) from the Globe and sometimes I get inside their paywall. What a great paper.

The Globe also claims they have about 100,000 electronic subscriptions at $30 a month. They are probably the most successful paper in the country aside from the national outlets in selling subscriptions. I arbitrarily classify the Washington Post as a national paper along with the NYT and the Wall Street Journal. And yet the Globe appears to be losing money.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  8. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Did Norwich get hit? I always liked how the local paper covered the Navigators.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

GateHouse and the Globe? Yikes.

10. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

The Seattle Times is getting some publicity for their subscription efforts, too.

How the Seattle Times is empowering reporters to drive subscriber growth - Digiday

But if Gatehouse comes in, the Globe will have its legs cut out from underneath.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Folks, GateHouse doesn’t give a shit about journalism. Their sole goal is to acquire enough papers, strip the profits from them, then declare bankruptcy, collect their bonuses, move on to another company and leave the creditors, employees and the papers’ communities fucked over.

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I don't believe any of the Big 3 you mention is losing money.

Draft saved Draft deleted